LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.08 (04) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 9 01:16:07 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 08 April 2006 * Volume 04

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.08 (02) [E/LS]

So now Low Saxon and Dutch are the same language all of a sudden?!
Well, not from the point of view of us Low Saxons in the Netherlands,
we like to see them as two seperate languages.
Seen from a Northern German angle that might be a bit different, but
geographically, politically, historically or culturally there was never
any unity between the East and the West.

But I know, I know, I was the one who started the what-if question here,
and it can be very pleasant to fantasize about this kind of subject.
So, *if*  the Benelux and Northern Germany had been united, what would
have been the capital? Amsterdam, Hamburg, or Groningen maybe? And how
would "Nederduitsch" have looked then, would it have had diphthongs like
ij ui ou as in Dutch or monophthongs [i:] [u:] [y:] as in Low Saxon,
would 'du' have kept its place in the language, what about umlauting, so
typical for the East but virtually absent in the West, etc etc. Maybe this
vaste country would have become so powerful and influential that even
Switzerland and Austria would have used "Nederduitsch" officialy, just the
other way around as now. Or it might even have become the predominant
language of North America... or... or... there are so many what-if-
scenarios possible...

Ingmar

>From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <Karl-Heinz.Lorenz at gmx.net>
>Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.06 (05) [D]
>
>Moin Ron!
>
>> This is pretty much also what I think.  It's great to see that someone
>> else
>> thinks about it and does this sort of "what-if" speculating.
>
>Yes I think no German historian has written that way about it. The
>mainstream German version is: The Netherlands have gradually separated
>linguistically and culturally since the 16th century, but actually it was
>the other way round: Northern Germany separated from the Netherlands
because
>the rulers in the Netherlands never took an interest in neighbouring
>Germany. And Dutch linguistics saw it that way a long time, as Johan
Winkler
>in his "Algemeen Nederduitsch en Friesch Dialecticon (2 delen), 1873", as
he
>applied the parable of the prodigal son to "het spraakgebied der
>nederduitsche taal" from south of Duinkerk across Northern France,
Belgium,

-----------

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>

Dear Lowlanders,

I normally don't like thinking in terms of 'what if...', because it shows me
how fatal some historical decisions have been, and how much more interesting
the present time could have been. And sometimes for some reason it just
makes me feel bad (what if... the Netherlands did not sell Manhattan to the
British, etc.)!

Well, 'elk nadeel hep s'n foordeel', Johan Cruyff (a famous Dutch football
coach) always says with Amsterdam accent.

Recently, Dutch historian Thomas von der Dunk has dedicated a whole book to
the what- if-thought. It is called "Buren? Een alternatieve geschiedenis van
Nederland/Duitsland" (2005) ("Neighbours? An alternative history of the
Netherlands/Germany" ISBN: 9085710065 - Note the slash instead of 'and'!).

In fact, the whole book consists of a serious attempt to reconstruct another
Dutch/German reality where certain pivotal historcal events had not
happened. I like the German part best: it starts off with Luther being
executed, which was the normal fatal plight of heretics in those days. But
his close ties with the Royal House prevented this. But what if Luther did
end up on the burning pile of logs? The Bible would not have been translated
into High German yet. Rather, it would probably have been published in the
then far more powerful (Hanseatic) 'Low German' language that was spoken
from Flanders to Lübeck and to Dortmund. The Low Countries (from the German
Lowlands all the way through to the present Netherlands and would have been
united, predominantly Catholic, and we would have had cities like Dortmond,
Monniksglabbeek (Mönchengladbach), Keulen, Aken, and our 20th century
politicians would rule this huge, Low German-Teutonic country together: in
the western part Willem Drees would have teamed up with Koenraad Adenhouwer
(yes, that orthography is correct!) in the east.

You see, that's why I don't like 'what-if', because only the spelling of
Adenauer's name painfully demonstrates the great missed opportunities for
Low German in our regions :)

Best regards,

Marcel.

http://roepstem.net

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Oh, and Karl-Heinz, I forgot to reemphasize that I suspected that, after
centuries of competition, the Netherlands of the 16th and 17th centuries,
being practically run by merchant guilds, did not fully realize the imminent
or (slowly) completed demise of the Saxon Hanseatic League, therefore still
thought of it as a force to reckon with, thereby missing the boat, and
instead of them it was the Germans of the south that, directly and by proxy,
ended up filling the power vacuum north of them and east of the Netherlands.
So, to go with Mark's theme and add to his list, we could have ended up with
Dutch place names like the following:

   Bergedorp (Bargdörp/Bergedorf)
   Bremervoord (Bremervöör/Bremervörde)
   Bruinswijk (Bruunswiek/Braunschweig)
   Dusseldorp (Düsseldörp/Düsseldorf)
   Grijpswoud (Griepswohld/Greifswald)
   Heiligehaven (Hilligenhaven/Heiligenhaven)
   Het Oude Land (Dat Ole Land (Olland)/Das Alte Land)
   Houtminden (Holtminnen/Holzminden)
   Housteen (Holsteen/Holstein)
   Meisjeburg (Maideborg/Magdeburg)
   Ossenbrugge (Ossenbrügge/Osnabrück)
   Sleiswijk (Sleswig/Schleswig)
   Wopperdaal (Wopperdal/Wuppertal)
   Zwartenbeek (Swattenbäk/Schwarzenbeck)

Never underestimate the utility of "what-if" excursions!  They tend to teach
us a lot about our "what-is" and "why-so" and all the haphazardness of our
common journey so far.  And the lessons learned could help us see ourselves
and our neighbors in a different light, though this might threaten
compartmentalizers' versions of reality and possibility.

(Oops! This has suddenly taken a serious turn!  Not surprisingly, coming
from a guy that, after hours of brain-frying calculations, realized that he
still owes a good couple of grant in state and federal income tax ...)

I'd better sign off at this point to stew in my misery and self-pity.

Kumpelmenten,

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.05 (04) [D]

Beste Ingmar,

Ik kan helemaal meekomen in jouw bespiegelingen over de Benelux, en ook met
die van Luc Hellinckx. Luc Hellinckx slaat de spijker op zijn kop als hij
zegt dat de scheuring van de Nederlanden veroorzaakt werd door religieuze
twisten en Franse (revolutionaire & militaire!) inmenging. Dit zijn beide
factoren die zich niet meer zullen herhalen, mochten de Nederlanden (lees:
de Benelux) zich in de 21ste eeuw herenigen. Dit thema is een van de
hoofdonderwerpen waarmee mijn webstek, De Roepstem, zich mee bezig houdt, en
ik heb er vaak over mogen spreken en schrijven. De Scheuring van 1830 en
daarmee het totstandkomen van Nederland en België is een historisch gegeven
dat niet meer noodzakelijk of vol te houden hoeft te zijn. Persoonlijk ben
ik dus voor een hereniging van de Beneluxlanden, juist vanwege die
verwantschappen onderling, de culturele eenheid tussen de landen, de
lotsbestemming, de delta die we vormen, de bijzondere positie in Europa,
enz. Ik kan hele verhandelingen hieraan wijden, maar dit lijkt me nu niet de
plek om geopolitiek te behandelen.

Ingmar, je vroeg:

>Ik ben trouwens wel benieuwd of met name de Vlamingen >(Belgen) hier op de
>lijst zich aan bovenstaande hersenspinsels geërgerd >hebben of wellicht
>juist wel helemaal niet.

Nou, wel en niet. De meeste Belgen die daarop reageren zijn ronduit
enthousiast. Dit positivisme geldt overigens voor alle onderwerpen. De enige
negatieve reacties komen van Vlaamse nationalisten en separatisten, en dan
gaat het júist over die Beneluxgedachte. Zij willen koste wat het kost niet
meer met 'Walen' in een land leven. Die mensen komen voort uit de Vlaamse
Beweging, die zich mijns inziens tegenwoordig veel te veel richt op
Vlaanderen als autonoom gebied, zo los mogelijk van België. Zij willen niet
eens 'Belgen' genoemd worden. Als ik als Nederlander hun dan schrijf dat ik
wel Belg genoemd wil worden (immers, de Nederlanden heetten ook 'Belgica'),
dan wordt het er niet makkelijker op. Zij erkennen weliswaar dat België een
nogal beperkende constructie is, maar ze vergeten waar België eigenlijk uit
voort is gekomen: uit een groter geheel. De nationalisten vergeten in het
heetst van de strijd vaak de Nederlandse connectie en ze borduren ietwat
a-historisch en met Kleinstaatlerei voort op de door het Belgicisme
ingezette duale systeem van Vlaamsverklaring van Germaanstalige gebieden en
Waalsverklaring van Romaanse gebieden. Hun identiteit zit 'm vooral in de
taal; iets wat dus door die Belgische tweedeling is ingezet.

Geheel taalreductionistisch, dus, en de kloof met de 'Waal' wordt steeds
groter. Je krijgt dan allemaal gekke identiteitsbelevingen, zoals de
verwantschap die ze menen te voelen met kleine volkeren zonder staat (zoals
de Basken, de Bretoenen, de Elzassers), terwijl ze eigenlijk géén klein
apart volk zonder staat zijn, maar gewoon Germaanstalige Nederlanders, zoals
16 miljoen anderen in het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden aan de andere kant van
de grens.

Overigens is het woord 'Vlaming' in de tegenwoordige zin een innovatie,
omdat dit woord voorbehouden was aan de bewoners van de westelijkere delen
van Germaanstalig België (dus niet voor Belgisch Brabant en Limburg). Later
werden 'Vlaming' en 'Vlaanderen'  gebruikt voor álles wat Germaanstalig in
België is ( m.u.v. de Hoogduitstalige kantons in het oosten). Typisch, dat
ze dus hun identiteit aan die Belgische invulling en naamgeving hebben
ontleend. Het is aan de andere kant niet onbegrijpelijk, omdat ze zich met
die nieuwe identiteit teweer konden stellen tegen de verfransing van België
in de 19de en 20ste eeuwen. Overigens toonde Nederland zich niet erg
betrokken bij die strijd tegen de verfransing, dus een beetje anti-Hollands
sentiment mengt zich ook in de kwestie.

Nu lijkt het me dat het vergeleken met het verleden wel meevalt met die
verfransing, en men kan nu weer naar hereniging met Nederland kijken.
Sommigen doen dat wel, maar dan weer zonder 'Wallonië'. Ook dat is weer
a-historisch en het gevolg zou zijn dat 'Wallonië' bij Frankrijk wordt
ingelijfd. Zonder 'Wallonië' krijg je, overigens, dan op het landkaartje een
soort geamputeerde Nederlanden, met een abrupte horizontale grens, waarbij
de oude provincie Brabant voor eenderde weggekapt is. Grappig is het ook,
dat Brabant, dat ooit het welvarende hartland van de Nederlanden was, in het
Zuiden Romaans- en in het noorden Germaanstalig was. Niemand die zich daar
bij mijn weten toen druk om maakte. Nee, ik denk dat de taalproblemen zich
vooral pas voordeden vanaf het moment dat België apart van Nederland geheel
nieuwe interne politieke verhoudingen moest vinden, met de hete adem van de
Fransen in de nek. De 'Walen' deden vervolgens wat ze konden om hun invloed
uit te breiden, zoals je dat van elke groep met rechtspersoonlijkheid binnen
een land zou verwachten.

Tja, wat als... Het lijkt me de moeite waard om het nog eens te proberen,
ditmaal niet met 'slechts' XVII provinciën maar ook met Flevoland en de
Antillen erbij. Wederzijds begrip voor de noordelijke en zuidelijke
identiteiten zal een hereniging bespoedigen. Vorig jaar hebben de
Nederlandse hoogleraar prof. Wim Couwenberg en de Belgische hoogleraar prof.
Hendrik Gysels een petitie gestart voor 'Een Nieuwe Benelux'. Er zijn al
volgens mij zo'n 250 handtekeningen verschenen van betrokken mensen. Het is
gericht op het stichten van een Gemenebest van de Benelux:
http://benelux-forum.skynetblogs.be/?date=20050403&number=14&unit=months&back=yes

Ingmar, je schreef verder:

>Ik heb inder-
>daad voornamelijk óver je gelezen en niet vàn, daarop was >mijn vorige
>berichtje dan ook gebaseerd. Het lijkt me niet nodig om >hier allerlei
>discussies te gaan voeren, en ik ben blij dat je dat ook >vindt.

Tja, ik heb zo veel andere belangstellingen. Paleontologie, filosofie,
reizen, antropologie en kookkunst, bijvoorbeeld. Maar daar heb je weer
andere kanalen voor. Had je me ook aangeraden af te zien van politieke
discussies indien je gelezen had dat ik, bijvoorbeeld, een actief lid ben
van de Partij van de Arbeid of een andere salonfähigere club?

Groeten, Marcel.