LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.04.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 11 14:48:26 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

11 April 2006 * Volume 01

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Honors" 2006.04.10 (04) [D/E]

Where there are none now, surely there will be in the foreseeable future.

Ron, do you need any Romance languages? I can possibly give a crude
introduction into Caribbean English, but I don't have that mmuch information
on it save what I learned from my Guyanese professor last spring. E knew au
to talk regularly, but it was evident dat e cood speak de Guyanese toang.
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Hi, Ben, a.k.a. 'Io-Lani!

Thanks, but I'm not sure I know what you mean.  I assume you are referring
to our anniversary project (http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/).  If so,
we need *any* language variety, sub-variety and sub-sub-variety, or indeed
super-variety (with emphasis on Lowlandic ones).  In fact, we are happy to
add more than one version of the "same" variety.

We are interested in translations of the wren story, preferably with audio
files, or audio files for already existing translations.  I can come up with
introductions to the varieties (will seek assistance if needed).  The
translations should be as authentic as possible.

If you, Sacred Hawk, could go hunting for any stuff along these lines, all
the more pineapple points you'll receive from your good kahuna at the end of
the day.  Your fellow students from far and wide should be fairly easy prey
for an agile raptor like you.  If all else fails, do what I always suggest:
come across as helpless, vulnerable and desperate and thus appeal to
people's parent instincts, not forgetting to make them feel extra special.
(This works wonders with stodgy and surly bureaucrats, by the way,
especially if you crank up your witty charm.)

Happy hunting, and a lot of thanks for your support, as always!

Oh, and Ben and the rest of you, I'm happy to announce that we'll soon add a
translation -- hopefully with audio file -- in Ebonics (African American
Vernacular English)!  It's the work of one of our so far silent Lowlanders.
(I won't reveal his name before the publication or before I get the green
light from him.)  I'm really excited about this and about the prospect of
him adding African American viewpoints and experiences to our discussions,
especially our discussions about American English language and cultures
which would not be the same without contributions from our compatriots of
African descent.

Cheers!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: By the way, Ben, how navigable are the Anniversary people for the
blind?  If you contact Mathieu (mathieuvw at gmail.com) and/or me, we'll let
you confidentially test-drive our remodelled version in hopes of finding
relevant navigation weakness that can be remedied before the reveal, or
before it progresses too far.