LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.11 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 11 15:03:11 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

11 April 2006 * Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.04.10 (05) [D/E]

  From: R. F. Hahn
  Subject: Language varieties

  I wish we could get a translation into Pitcairn (Pitkern) and Norfolk
  (Norfuk) creoles (which are definitely Lowlandic), but this may be a
  stretch, given that they are practically moribund. It is a blend of 18th
  century English and Polynesian (specifically Tahitian).

  ==================

I thought Norfuk at least was reasonably alive; a TV program in Australia
about 10 years ago showed several people speaking it, of all ages.  The were
"Islanders" as opposed to "Residents".  Residents can never become
Islanders, but the kids of Islander/Resident unions (which is the norm these
days) are Islanders.  The son of a colleague married an Islander girl, and
at that time (also about 10 years back) was confident that any kids would
learn the language.

Paul

(PS: I am serious about the T-Shirt, Ron, though when the sketches will turn
into a garment is anybody's guess!)

----------

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2006.04.09 (01) [D/E]

> It's always interesting, albeit perhaps fruitless, to go down the
> "what-if" lane, isn't it?

Ron, didn't I hear on here somewhere back aways that the Jamaican dialect of
Caribbean Creole English does not have words for if and would?
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Hi again, Ben!

> Ron, didn't I hear on here somewhere back aways that the Jamaican dialect
> of
> Caribbean Creole English does not have words for if and would?

I don't remember it, but that doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

So, what about it?

> (PS: I am serious about the T-Shirt, Ron, though when the sketches will
> turn into a garment is anybody's guess!)

Ah! ‘Ōlelo Kai ‘Ākau maintains that he needs visual proof, and he suggests
you consider producing Lowlands-L t-shirts.

Thanks for the info on Norfuk, Paul.  I didn't know it was still reasonably
widely spoken.  I guess it's handy as a distinguishing feature between
natives and newcomers.  This is also what goes on with Insular North Frisian
on Heligoland and on the North Frisian Islands in Germany.