LL-L "Traditions" 2006.04.14 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Apr 18 16:08:07 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

18 April 2006 * Volume 01

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2006.04.16 (05) [D/E/Finnish/German/Swedish]

Beste Ron, Henry, Gabrielle

Subject: LL-L "Traditions"

On the subject of  'Bakenbrande' I reckon Our Ron should start ducking
roundabout now. EVERYONE has a spring bonfire tradition, & we will ALL now
dive in...  Let's start with Lag B'omer (16th May - 33rd day of counting the
Omer - this year) for the Jews. Of course theirs being a real lunar calender
it wanders around a leeetle more consistantly than our Easter - on their
calender.

I think the Celts, though, are likely to swamp you; it's their Beltane. & if
it is true as I believe that the Celts are the substratum of all the peoples
of the Northwest Lowlands & Littoral of Europe, then they'll take the credit
for initiating the practise. They had a special thing with walking on stilts
& burning big baskets... By the way, the only support I can spook up for
this averral this instant is the knowledge in Roman times that the Belgicae
were a blended race, Celtic & Germanic.

Yrs,
Mark