LL-L "Proverbs" 2006.04.29 (04) [D/E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Apr 29 19:58:34 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 29 April 2006 * Volume 04

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Proverbs" 2006.04.28 (02) [D/E/LS]

Tom wrote:

>With my zoology background I must disagree, all animals >have their
>own wondrous beauty.
>Someone once said "The true philosopher can see beauty in a
>hippopotamus"

I fully agree. As a boy I was fascinated about zoology, and I always liked
the hippopotamus very much. I thought it was a beautiful, truly unique
animal. And to know that they share an ancestor with the suidae (pigs and
the like), made them even more interesting.

As for our Dutch proverb "Even when an ape/monkey wears a golden ring, it
will still be an ugly thing": on a summer day my neighbour taught me this
proverb. I must have been  about ten years old. I immediately interpreted
the proverb this way: "So rings aren't beautiful." Because, genuinely, in
all naiveté, I thought monkeys were beautiful. I still do. Only after some
years did I really understand the proverb. I still don't agree with people
when they say monkeys and apes are ugly. Hasn't it occurred to anyone that
they are our closest relatives, and, hence, that we resemble primates the
most? So in a way, we are saying that we are ugly, too.

I can still feel the irritation as when I was a child! :)