LL-L "Proverbs" 2006.04.29 (14) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 30 02:21:34 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 29 April 2006 * Volume 14

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Proverbs"

Dear Tom,

You wrote:
>  Consider these:
>
>  Tagalog (Filipino):
>
>  Damitan mo man ang matsing, matsing pa rin.
>
>  (A monkey dressed up is still a monkey.)
>
> Monkeys appear in some examples of early English stained glass that
> managed to escape Cromwell's ravages.
> They are gerenerally symbols of evil.

This is in stark contrast with Chinese mythology. One of the most famous
Chinese novels "Journey to the west" (see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West), features Sun Wukong
(孫悟空), the monkey king...and he is definitely a hero. Sure he plays
mischief from time to time, but on the whole, Chinese people revere him.
To some extent, you could compare him with "Reinaard de Vos"...but he's
even more cunning and playful. Sorry Ron :-D .

The story has recently been revamped as hip-hop band Gorillaz has
transformed the legend into a modern "opera" that will even be staged in
Berlin's State Opera in 2007. More info here:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/04/25/gorillaz-opera-berlin.html

Greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Proverbs

Hi, Luc!

Whilst this is not exactly Lowlandic, nor to detract from your basic point,
I need to add that the monkey figure mentioned is probably not very
traditionally Chinese, though there may be some such influences.  The story,
originally stemming from the Southern Sòng dynasty (宋朝, 960-1279) or even
earlier, and first published anonymously in the Míng dynasty (明朝), is a
fictionalized and "mythologized" account of the journey of the Buddhist monk
Xuánzàng (玄奘, 602-664) to India to bring back important document of the
Buddhist Yogācāra (योगाचार, 瑜伽行派) school.  I rather think that the character
of the monkey Sūn Wùkōng was mostly based on the Hindu _vanara_ (वनर)
Hanumān (हनुमान्).  A _vanara_ is a monkey-like humanoid that is brave,
inquisitive and helpful, though in a mischievious and childishly blunt,
unpredictable and mildly irritating way.  Note also that the name Sūn Wùkōng
means something like "Aware-of-Emptiness Sūn," Sūn, being a normal Chinese
family name that also means "grandchild."  Thus, this _vanara_, "hijacked"
from Hinduism, represents a desirable Buddhist, especially Zen Buddhist,
quality.  However, it would be going too far if I even tried to explain this
quality, this concept, in any detail.  Suffice it to mention that Sūn
Wùkōng's childlike nature, especially his seemingly naive, even absurd
questions and observations that tend to strike at the heart of matters give
you some indication of what is at play here.  This is indeed a quality you
find in the Lowlands' figure of Till Uylenspeghel and his jester relatives.

Xuánzàng's study of Sanskrit and probably Tocharian as well as his travels
and stay in Central Asia and India infused Táng dynasty (唐朝, 619-907) China
with a lot of Indic influences, and his story has been imbued with Indian
symbols.  This has lasted in semi-mythology form to this day, and the
_vanara_ has apparently overshadowed whatever original attributes monkeys
used to have in China's pre-Buddhist folklore.

I am putting this forward to remind you and everyone else that folklore and
mythology and whatever is based on these often turn out to be based on
fiction and on foreign elements -- in other words, that they are not always
(fully) native and folksy by origin.  Some of this may well apply to the
Lowlands as well.  For one thing, some European folk stories are
"folklorized" stories about the lives of Christian saints.  I assume they
were popularized versions for the illiterate masses.  As alluded to above,
the adventures of Till Ulenspegel may well be another example of this, as
may be Turkic Karaköz I mentioned a few days ago.  Thanks to their seemingly
naive nature, they get to question and say what no one else dares to
question and say.