LL-L "Folklore" 2006.04.29 (15) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 30 06:02:15 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 29 April 2006 * Volume 15

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Proverbs" 2006.04.29 (14) [E]

Ron , Thanks for the elaboration on the "Monkey Theme"
It also made me think of the three monkeys than "Hear no evil, See no evil
and Speak no evil. Are you intimating that maybe looooooooooong ago. The
attitude of mankind was that one could not have any criticism on the status
quo and only the innocent, like children, were not aware of that taboo and
could hear, see or speak the truth. You say:

<Thanks to their seemingly naive nature, they get to question and say what
no one else dares to question and say.>

Which reminds me of the "Emperors New Clothes"

The jester, Tijl Uilenspiegel , evades punishment because he acts like a
simpleton, a child.

Puzzled, Jacqueline

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

Hello, neighbor Jacqueline!

I see your point.  Well, maybe not so looooong ago, huh?

Till and his likes may be said to have put on innocent, naive acts in order
to evade punishment, and the Hoja Karagöz used such an act to teach others
philosophical depth in simplicity, especially theoreticians that think they
are so very learned.  However, the child in Hans Christian Andersen's "The
Emperors New Clothes" (_Keiserens nye Klæder_, 1837) does not put on an act.
He or she just sees and says whatever (most) adults consciously or
subconsciously see and wish they could say.

As I see him, the _vanara_ Sūn Wùkōng is more like the child in the story.
His seeming naïveté does not seem to be an act.  His questions and
observations come from his nature and attitudes that seem childlike to us
because they are the nature and attitudes we have as children before they
are "beaten" out of us, or, better to say, before they come to be buried
under layers of fear-derived conformity and delusion.  His name indicates
that he is (naturally) aware of all beings and things being sentient and of
all beings' sensual perceptions being "empty," being mere illusions or
delusions.  He points out what ought to be obvious to everyone, but he does
not do so by "cutting through all the crap" but simply because it's what he
sees and knows.  He goes on the journey far away with no fear because he
does not cling to anything, thereby evading suffereing, and he takes all
challenges as they come, outwitting opponents in like manner: going for the
target without pomp, circumstances and artful combat techniques.  I see him
as an alter-ego of the monk, as an aspect of his gradually resurfacing
innate Buddha nature (बुद्धधात _buddha-dhātu_).  The less this little
monkey's antics bother him the more he gets in touch with this aspect of his
innate nature.  In other words, this journey to India represents a person's
first step toward enlightenment, be it Buddhist or otherwise.  The basic
message is "truth is simple."

In Zen Buddhism (which originated in India and was further developed in
Eastern Asia), it is customary for a mentor not to answer a student's
questions in what we might consider conventional ways.  He or she will often
respond with what at first seems like an absurd riddle-like statement or
question dealing with mundane- and irrelevant-sounding matters.  These tend
to sound like children's naive observations or questions, being aimed at
helping the seeker find the truth in the "obscurely obvious," getting the
student to abandon learned intellectual skills that lie in the way of seeing
the obvious.  This is why Buddhism is said to be the fastest growing
philophy/religion among Western and East European intellectuals, especially
the branches Mahāyāna (महायान, particularly Japanese 禅 _zen_, Sanskrit ध्यान
_dhjāna_, Pali झान/เซน _jhāna_, Chinese 禪 chán, Korean 선 _seon_, Vietnamese
_thiền_) and "Tibetan", "Lamaist" or "Tantric" Vajrayāna (वज्रयान, Tibetan
_dorje thepa_), is currently very fast-growing among Western and East
European intellectuals, people who came to realize that personal
enlightenment and peace are achieved less by book learning than by finding
ready but buried answers within, by daring to be one's own child or monkey,
or even Till or Karagöz.