LL-L "Literature" 2006.04.29 (16) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Apr 30 06:22:04 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 29 April 2006 * Volume 16

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2006.04.29 (07) [E/German]

Ron translated:

(1) That you're my darling you know all the same.
|: See me tonight! See me tonight! Whisper your name! :|

(2) Come in the dark of night, when the clock has struck one!
|: Dad will be asleep, Mom will be asleep, and I sleep alone. :|

(3) Knock on the chamber door! Enter quietly please!
|: Dad will believe, Mom will believe the wind moved the trees. :|

(4) Once the new day has dawned the rooster will crow.
|: Darling, my darling, oh, then you must go. :|

(5) Then tiptoe down the hall! Leave quietly please!
|: Dad will believe, Mom will believe the wind moved the trees. :|

(6) That you're my darling you know all the same.
|: See me tonight! See me tonight! Whisper your name! :|

Puh-leeeze!!! This is an old and beautiful songs, and an ugly, much
overused, rather modern American word such as "Mom" should never be used in
this context ("Dad" isn't the best choice either).

In my eight years in America, very few of those that called me my children's
"mom" lived to see another day. ;-)

Seriously, where did they come up with a word like that to replace "mother"
even in newspaper articles? It's practically impossible to even pronounce it
without sounding whiny (Moooo-ommm?!). And personally, I always found it
quite degrading if other people used it on me. I'm a mature adult (well,
more or less), and happen to be a mother, but I am far from what the word
"Mom" is trying to reduce me to.

Rant over...

...by the way, there are some good translations of "Dat du min leevsten
büst" in existence, the Fureys sing it, for example.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Thanks for the rant, Gabriele.  As always, I was pleased to oblige with some
material for destructive criticism.

By the way, old the song may well be, but I doubt that the current form is,
judging by "yellow" words like _kumm_ (= _kaam_ 'come') and _Kammer_ (=
_Kamer_ 'chamber'),

Furthermore, in traditional societies _vadder_ and _mouder_ ~ _mudder_ were
and in parts still are used just like "dad" and "mom" ~ "mum" are these days
in English speaking areas ("father" and "mother" in the 19th century), and I
dare say that people that for some strange reason have problems with the
words "dad" and "mom" ~ "mum" are decidedly in the minority.