LL-L 'History' 2006.08.01 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 1 22:47:00 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 01 August 2006 * Volume 08

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.08.01 (03) [D/E/V]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

Paul:

> And arguably did. There is some evidence that,
although the Norse
> Greenland settlements vanished, the people didn't;
they got absorbed
> by the Inuit.

Wow! That's a new one for me.

This whole story seems like good historical novel
material. Has anyone ever pursued this?

Helllo,

Well, i.e.: there was an Icelandic colony / settlement
on the west-coast of Greenland. [And one of the
Edda-poems we just know because someone in Greenland
recited it.]

And every summer a ship sailed there for delivering
post a.s.o.
But after a long time there weren't any summer-visits
because of the bad summers, drifting ice and other bad
conditions.

And when after some decades a ship came there again
nothing was to be found of this settlement.

So a. they got absorbed by the Inuit; b. they all died
by flu [and the Inuit or icebears ate them]; c. they
felt lonely, wanted to sail home, i.e. Iceland, but
went down; d. they marched south and got absorbed or
killed by the natives on Greenland, Alaska,
Yellowknife or other natives.

But they disappeared.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Yes, Theo.  This is how I remember the story, which is why I was surprised to
hear that there are now signs of them having been absorbed.

I remember hearing that the people had disappeared pretty suddenly (i.e., from
one year to another).  Things had been going downhill.  They had had certain
scarcities and some of them had been ailing.  This makes it more likely that
either in a desparate attempt to make it to Iceland the survivers perished or
many of them died of disease and whoever buried them made it to an Inuit
settlement or perished out in the wilderness or on the open sea.  However, I also
vaguely remember hearing that no sudden increase in graves has been found.

It's all very mysterious, isn't it?

Still, I think it would make a good novel and/or movie.