LL-L 'History 2006.08.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 4 14:29:01 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 04 August 2006 * Volume 01

From: Tom Mc Rae <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.08.03 (08) [E]

On 04/08/2006, at 7:36 AM, Heather Rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com> wrote:

> Subject: LL-L 'History' 2006.08.03 (05) [E]
>
> re Jamestown
>
> Sorry - I had thought that the site was abandoned; I didn't realise it was
>
> re-started.

Let us not forget the Scottish settlement of New Edinburgh established as a
trading post in The Darien Straits (Panama) in the early 18th century.
A large number of settlers tried to establish themselves there and there we know
full well why the site was abandoned by the few survivors.
Hostile Indians accounted for some but the main killer was the same culprit that
did so much damage centuries later during the digging of The
Panama Canal. Aedes aegypti, a lovely wee black and silver mosquito that spread
Yellow Fever, malaria also seems to have been a factor.
There was shocking mortality and sickness and the colony soon collapsed. Could
disease have also been a factor at Roanoke and Jamestown ?
After all Dickens in "Martin Chuzzlewit" gives an account of problems among
people living in some new American settlements in 19th century.

Regards
Tom Mc Rae
Brisbane Australia

Oh Wad Some Power the Giftie Gie Us