LL-L 'History' 2006.08.07 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Aug 7 16:17:26 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 07 August 2006 * Volume 03

From: jpkrause <jpkrause at sunflower.com>
Subject: LL-L History

>>From: jpkrause <jpkrause at sunflower.com>
>>Subject: LL-L 'History'
>>
>>Indeed it could have. Disease played a bigger part in the mortality of
>>all people living in the Western Hemisphere than we now realize.
>>
>Sandy Fleming Replied:

>Jim, what do you mean? You're telling us something that you don't now
>realise?
>
>Or by "we" do you mean us lot, excluding yourself? :)

Oh no, I meant to include myself. I have observed that amateur American
historians, and alas, some American academic historians as well tend to
take what I call the atomic view of history. That is, events can be
studied as being detached segments of a specific time line; that the
catalyst of a certain situation can be traced to a single event, when in
actuality several forces may be at work simultaneously. Furthermore,
this atomic point of view doesn't seem to allow for any freedom of
choice. It assumes that the outcome is predetermined.
A valid question for the historian is: How did financial
forces affect the spread of disease which affected migration patterns?
It really doesn't matter in which order the question is phrased, as long
as the historian recognizes that spread of disease and economic forces
together can and do have massive influence upon the dislocation of a
population.

Jim Krause