LL-L 'History' 2006.08.13 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 13 22:11:57 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 13 August 2006 * Volume 01

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L 'Language proficiency' 2006.08.12 (01) [E]

> From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> Subject: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
>
> >From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
> >Subject: LL-L 'Language proficiency' 2006.08.06 (02) [E]
> >
> >On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 06:15, Lowlands-L wrote:
> >>From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
> >>
> >>At the very beginning there's a little boy running around shouting "Da!
> >>Da! Da!".
> >
> >Scots? Or Welsh?
>
> Scots - he's running around calling for his father, not shouting "Good!
> Good! Good!" at random :)
>
> >>This was the only Scots I noticed in the whole film.
> >>
> >>Some other gaffs: Historically, the Braveheart is Robert the Bruce, who
> >
> >Tell me more! Among the skeletons in my father's family closet happen to
> > be an alleged descent from Robert the Bruce himself, via some attractive
> > young woman of the Bruce clan, based in the Jedburg area. King Alfred the
> > Great had his burned cakes for people to remember him by - Robert the
> > Bruce had his persistent spider to remind him of his duty as the Scottish
> > King and leader of Scotland's resistance.
>
> The Bruce's heart was removed from his body and enshrined somewhere (no,
> I'm not looking up Wikipedia cos you can do that as easily as me :)
> This was "The Braveheart".

Now that's interesting.

> Everybody's descended from somebody!

True. :) There was a big hoohaa recently about the US citizen with ancestral
roots in the Lakes district who had a claim to being descended from Genghis
Khan.

In one of my scribblings, I have the hapless hero, descended from one of the
ancient notables in his city, getting a bit annoyed at the expectations
placed on him for merely having such-and-such as ancestor; he starts to get
infuriated at identity politics quite early on; and when he finally "gets the
girl", having persistently thwarted both his mother's and her mother's
machinations to get the pair of them together, they are glad to finally get
together, in spite of their matchmaking mothers - who have both died in the
volcanic eruption which constitutes the "central drama" of the story. ;)

Wesley Parish