LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.13 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Aug 13 22:15:06 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 13 August 2006 * Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.12 (01) [E]

> From: Gary Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: LL-L Names
>
> Hi all
>
> I have a question regarding 'pet' forms of names. My
> name is Gary. In England this is often shortened to
> 'Gaz' [is this the case in America?]. In the same way
> Barry is shortened to 'Baz', Darren to 'Daz', Sharon
> to 'Shaz' or even Mary to Maz etc. Is this a new
> feature for names with 'r' or does it date back to
> something more ancient (the change between r and z in
> Germanic - as in 'was - were')? Does anything like
> this exist in other lowland languages where connection
> between r and z is used in alternatives of words?

Gaty submitted the above post last summer, and replies suggested that this form
was never used in America.

I've never heard it used in Scottish English, and in fact it quite mystifies me
how English English speakers see a relationship vetween /z/ and /r/.

Presumably the Scotish apical /r/ just doesn't work like this.

However, having been made aware of the phenomenon by Gary, I've started to notice
it, and have heard in conversation or read in emails, texts and blogs (always by
English people) all of the following:

Chaz: Charles
Jez: Jeremy
Chez: Cheryl
soz: sorry
The Moz: Morrissey (the singer)

and of course there are the ones listed by Gary (or Gaz? :)

Gaz: Gary
Baz: Barry
Daz: Darren
Shaz: Sharon
Maz: Mary

"Maz" is new to me - would this be pronounced [ma:z] or [me:z]?

I think the use of "The Moz" for Morrissey would mean that this process is still
productive.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/