LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.15 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Aug 15 17:28:44 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 15 August 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Kevin Caldwell' [kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net]
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.15 (02) [E]

> From: 'Global Moose Translations' [globalmoose at t-online.de]
> Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.14 (02) [E]
>
> Would somebody please explain about "Welcome home China"?

Yes, please.
> From: 'Global Moose Translations' [globalmoose at t-online.de]
> Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.14 (02) [E]
>
> Would somebody please explain about "Welcome home China"?

Yes, please.

> From: Paul Finlow-Bates [wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk]
> Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.08.14 (02) [E]
>
> The "z" thing was certainly common in Leicester in the 60s when I was a
> teenager.
> That was well before the "Aussie Invasion", the only major movement then
> was in
> the other direction. I had arrived from New Zealand in '64, and hadn't
> heard
> that "z" use before.
>
> It could apply to almost all medial "r" positions; names as "Gaz" for
> Gary, but
> also "soz" for sorry.
>
> Paul Finlow-Bates

I've heard "Chas" for "Charles" all my life here in the US. I've always
connected it with the way people used to abbreviate "Charles" in signatures
- "Chas." (like "Wm." for "William" or "Jno." for "John" or "Thos." for
"Thomas"). I don't think the other forms that have been mentioned are used
in the US though.

> From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
> Subject: Names
>
> And then there is doubling of shortened names in English. Off the cuff I
> can
> think of Jojo ~ Jo-Jo from Jo from Joanne, and Beebee, usually from
> Beatrice.
> Does it apply to men's names as well? I guess it does sometimes, such as
> John-John for the son of John F. Kennedy, but John is not a (newly)
> shortened
> form, just an old contraction.

I know of at least one man who goes by JoJo (a radio DJ in Baltimore). And
Bibi is sometimes used for Benjamin (Benjamin "Bibi" Netanyahu, for one). I
think this sort of thing is not uncommon with male names in French as well.

Jo could also be short for Josephine, by the way.

> And the "monosyllabicization" seems to go beyond Germanic. It's common in
> Russian, for instance, as in Vladislav -> Vlad (though not the stressed
> syllable!), but these usually undergo endearment extension, often with
> stress
> shift, such as Iván -> Vánja, Júrij -> Júra, Nadéža -> Nádja,
> Rodión -> Ródja.

I sure wish I could figure out your encoding, Ron. Anyway, I've always been
fascinated by Russian diminutive forms for names. One interesting note:
while Ivan is usually shortened to Vanya, it becomes simply Van' in vocative
uses (i.e., when trying to get Vanya's attention, you call him Van'). This
happens with most of the diminutives - Sasha (Aleksandr) is addressed
initially as Sash, Yura (Yurij) as Yur, Slava (any name ending in -slav) as
Slav, Kostya (Konstantin) as Kost', etc.

Also, while the stress in Vladislav is on the last syllable, in Vladimir the
second syllable gets the stress (and the usual shortening of Vladimir is
Volodya).

Kevin Caldwell

>Would somebody please explain about "Welcome home China"?

Rhyming slang: mate > china plate > china

Andy

    Would somebody please explain about "Welcome home China"?

    Gabriele Kahn

China Plate - rhyming slang for "mate"

Paul Finlow-Bates