LL-L 'Rhyming slang' 2006.08.17 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 17 16:03:29 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 17 August 2006 * Volume 02

From: Heather Rendall [HeatherRendall at compuserve.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Rhyming slang' 2006.08.16 (03] [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>But remember that this is, or has been, the _first_ language of
thousands of people, and to them there's no word play or humour in it,
although they do tend to pick up on what's "behind" their vocabulary
from general conversation.<

And it continues to spread and grow ............... just like any other
language.

Sandy's example of nuclear sub = pub is a good example of a modern 'new'
coinage.

The 'fun' and 'humour' is certainly there: D list celebs only have to
appear a couple of times in a tabloid before their name gets appropriated
by the taxi drivers of London. The creation is always up to date and often
v funny indeed..........

Examples fail me right now but I shall post them on as I
remember/recall/re-hear any

Heather

----------

From: Paul Finlow-Bates [wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk]

    From: Sandy Fleming
    Subject: LL-L 'Rhyming slang' 2006.08.16 (02) [E]

    But remember that this is, or has been, the _first_ language of
    thousands of people, and to them there's no word play or humour in it,
    although they do tend to pick up on what's "behind" their vocabulary
    from general conversation.

    Sandy Fleming
    http://scotstext.org/

And sometimes they don't even know the "hidden" part themselves.  The 1980's TV
series "Minder" was set in th eEAst End, and starred George Cole as Arthur Daly,
wide-boy and spiv.

The show employed several "Bow Bells" cokneys to provide the argot, and Cole got
very interested in rhyming slang.  On one occasion Arthur had a line "'e's bin
pushin' dodgy kettles", meaning "he's been selling stolen watches".  Cole asked
the writer how "kettle" (or strictly "ke'l") related to a watch, and he said he
honestly didn't know, but his grandfather had always called a watch a kettle.

Cole did a bit of reasoning, based on the likely age of the grandfather, and
figured it was of late 19th - early 20th C vintage, when a watch wasn't strapped
to your wrist, it was on a chain in your pocket.  Generally known as a fob-watch,
or simply a "fob". So, "kettle and hob" - fob!

But there are probably many Londoners still calling a watch a "kettle" without
knowing why.

Paul Finlow-Bates

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Rhyming slang

Heather (above):

> The 'fun' and 'humour' is certainly there: D list celebs only have to
> appear a couple of times in a tabloid before their name gets appropriated
> by the taxi drivers of London. The creation is always up to date and often
> v funny indeed..........
>
> Examples fail me right now but I shall post them on as I
> remember/recall/re-hear any

Acker < Acker Bilk < milk
Adrian < Adrian Mole < dole = welfare
A.J. < A. J. Hackett < jacket
Alberts < Albert Hall < balls
Alex < Alex Nash < slash = urinate
Alexei < Alexei Sayle < e-mail
Ali < Ali McGraw < score
Ann < Anne Frank < wank = masturbation
Arnold < Arnold Palmer < farmer
Babe < Babe Ruth < truth
Bill < Bill Murray < curry
Billy Ray < Billy Ray Cirus < virus
Boris < Boris Becker < pecker = penis
Britney(s) < Britney Spears < ear(s), tear(s)
Bruce < Bruce Lee < tea
Bugs < Bugs Bunny < money
Buster < Buster Keaton < meetin' = meeting
Camillas < Camilla Parker-Bowles < goals
Cilla < Cilla Black < back
Dame Edna < Dame Edna Everidge < beverage (drink)
Dame Judy < Dame Judy Dench < stench, bench
Dudley < Dudley Moore < score, sore
Elizabeth < Elizabeth Regina < vagina
Errol < Errol Flynn < chin
Ewan < Ewan McGregor < beggar
Fred < Fred Astaire < hair, chair
George < George Bush < mush = face
Glen < Glen Campbell < gamble
Goldie < Goldie Hawn < porn = pornography
Gregory < Gregory Peck	< neck, cheque (check)
Harveys < Harvey Nichols < pickles
Hollies < Hollie Reath < teeth
Jethro < Jethro Tull < skull
Liza < Liza Minnelli < telly = television
Magnus < Magnus Pike < dyke = lesbian
Nat < Nat King Cole < dole = welfare
Nicky < Nicky Lauder < powder = cocaine
Osama < Osama bin Laden < garden, pardon
Penelope < Penelope Cruz < booze
Pittsburghs < Pittsburgh Steelers < peelers = police, cops
Quentin < Quentin Crisp < lisp
Quentin < Quentin Tarantino < vino = wine
Richard < Richard Burton < curtain
Richard < Richard Gere < beer
Ronan < Ronan Keating < meeting, (central) heating
Ronnie < Ronnie Barker < marker (pen)
Saddam < Saddam Hussein < pain, insane
Salvadore < Saladore Dali < Charlie = cocaine
Schindlers < "Schindler's List" < wrist, pissed = drunk
Sexton < Sexton Blake < cake, fake
Shania < Shania Twain < pain
Sharone < Sharone Stone < phone
Shirley < Shirley Bassey < chassis
Stevie < Stevie Wonder < chunder = sickness
Stewart < Stewart Granger < danger
Thomas < Thomas Edison < medicine
Toms < Tom Hanks < Yanks = US Americans
Tony < Tony Blair < hair, chair
Winona < Winona Ryder < cider
etc., etc.

And a few examples from Australian rhyming slang:

Al < Al Capone < phone
Captain(s) < Captain Cook < look (e.g., 'ava captain(s)! 'Have a look!')
Charlie < Charlie Wheeler < sheila = woman
Dog < dog and bone < phone
Hook < butcher's hook < crook
Loaf < loaf of bread < head
Plates < plate of meat < feet
Regs < Reg Grundys < undies = underwear
Seppo < sep < septic tank < Yank < (any) U.S. American
Warwick(s) < Warwick Farm (Sydney racecourse) < arm(s)

Cheers!