LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.24 (01 [E/F/LS/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Aug 24 15:40:13 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 August 2006 * Volume 01

From: David Barrow [davidab at telefonica.net.pe]
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.08.23 (06) [E/LS/German]

> From: Heather Rendall [HeatherRendall at compuserve.com]
> Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.23 (01) [D/E/LS/German]
>
> Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>
>> On the other hand, Low Saxon has a word for 'alley' _twyt(e)_ (Twiete,
>>
> Twiet
> [tvi:t(e)], still used in some North German street names, _Twiete_ also
> meaning
> 'alley' in Hamburg German). <
>
> We have 'twittens' - which are the small alleys leading from the street to
> houses situated at the back of the main house.
> Very often the twitten leads to a small courtyard off which other
> houses/dwellings can be found.
>
> My mother ( from Norfolk) always uses the term - so I am not too sure if it
> only East Anglian or whether it is used generally in the UK
>
> Heather

Heather,

It's used in Sussex at least:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncounties/voices2005/sx_gloss.shtml

David Barrow

----------

From: Heiko Evermann [heiko.evermann at gmx.de]

The explanation I heard of was that it refers to the two parallel paths that
wheels make on an unpaved road. Or to two parallel lines of concrete that are
used in agricultural areas for the tractors where you need some pavement but
no real road.
At least that is what my father found out somewhere. I grew up in a street
called "Högertwiete" in Elmshorn. It was named after Fritz Höger
(http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Höger\) who was born in Elmshorn. The
street is in a neighbourhood that was build in the 1970s and my father was
always a bit annoyed that this was the only street in the area that was
called a "Twiete" as if someone from the local administration was unwilling
to grant Fritz Höger a "proper" street.

Kind regards,

Heiko