LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.25 (01) [E/F]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Aug 25 14:44:47 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 25 August 2006 * Volume 01

From: 'Global Moose Translations' [globalmoose at t-online.de]
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.08.24 (01 [E/F/LS/German]

Johnny wrote:
> GRIMM schrivvt:
>
> "BRACHLERCHE, f. alauda campestris. die lerche sitzt gern auf Ã
> ¤ckern in der
> furche, vgl. das gedicht von des hundes nôt 81 (in einer
> furhstege) und
> WACKERNAGELS hübsche deutung von lerche, lêracha aus laiswacha,
> furchenwacherin
> (HAUPT 5, 14), der doch das ags. lâferce, altn. lôa, lafa
> entgegentritt."
> Man- de Lark sitt amend ne inne Föhr- de sitt leyber opp dennen
> platten Acker!

Speaking of the Grimms in this context - one of their fairy tales, basically
another version of Beauty and the Beast, is called "Das singende, springende
Löweneckerchen". This "Löweneckerchen" (a small lion beechnut??) is supposed
to be another name for the lark.

Gabriele Kahn