LL-L 'Administrativia' 2006.12.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Dec 1 19:23:56 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 1 December 2006 * Volume 02

From: Mel Vassey [mel.vassey at gmail.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Administrativia' 2006.12.01 (01) [E]

2006/12/1, Lowlands-L <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>:

> Below please find a typical exchange with the "support" staff, bearing in mind
> that the responses of "Peter" (or perhaps rather Pitambar, Phanindra or
> Prabhakar?) are shortcut macros.

"Peter" is more likely 10101000101000101010001101010101010100101010 on
a server Heaven knows where, as those "live chat" responses were
anything but. Bots are always cheaper than humans, whether in Omaha or
Bangalore.

--
Mel Vassey, DVM

http://cabezalana.blogspot.com

"Hatred never ends by hatred; hatred ends by love. That is the eternal law."
- Buddha

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Administrativia

Thanks a lot, Mel, and welcome to the List and it's vocal corner! Sorry these
technical problems occurred soon after your arrival.

You may very well be right, and I wasn't "talking" to a real person.

The problem with provider companies seems to be that the quality of service you
get at any given time does not necessarily have anything to do with the level of
cost or with what type of service you got when you signed up or got the day
before the humbug.  As you said, there's cost-cutting going on all around, people
are being replaced by robots, and in short order everything goes "HH" (or
"Hansestadt Hamburg"), namely "to Hell in a Hand basket," pretty much under the
general motto "Pay more! Get Less!"  But -- hey! -- that's how it goes. Mind you,
I did seem to talk to a real person on the phone, but his responses were just as
stock-like as the ones online.  I resisted laying in to him too much, pretty much
in the spirit of your quote above.

OK, folks, waky-waky! Where are the submissions? Where are the seasonal topics?

Oh, and while we're at it, where are the contributions to the anniversary site
(http://lowlands-l.net/anniversary/)?

Oh, and Mel, you keep warm now in your neck of the woods! Y'hear? Our snow and
ice is gone now, gone east where people are used to dealing with them.

Kumpelmenten,