LL-L 'Idiomatica' 2006.12.02 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Dec 2 23:29:22 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands-l at lowlands-l.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 02 December 2006 * Volume 01

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Idiomatica

Lowlanders,

Even in my own lifetime so far I seem to have witnessed the decline of the
English phrase "How do you do?" (mostly used during introductions, rarely as a
real greeting).

In the parts of North America with which I am familiar it seems to be totally
outmoded, would probably surprise people if used. "Hi!", "How are ya?", "Howdie,"
"How('re) ya doin'?", "Nice to meet you," "Nice meeting you," "(It's a) pleasure
(to meet/meeting you)," etc. are far more commonly used, lately "Wha' 's up?"
("Whazzup?") in casual, younger circles.

Before I left about 20 years ago, it was rarely used in Australia also, seems
overly formal and perhaps "too English." Phrases like "Hi!", "How('re) ya
(going)?", "Nice to meet you," "Good to meet you," etc. seem to be more common.

Lately I have been hearing "How do you do?", if not from English learners that
relied on older teaching resources, mostly from very competent English speakers
from or in non-European countries that used to be British colonies, not counting
European-dominated Canada, Australia and New Zealand. In my own experience, this
includes people from or in Egypt, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Myanmar
(Burma), Malaysia, Singapore and Western Samoa. I have also heard some mostly
older British persons use it.

Can anyone shed more light onto this?

It would also be interesting what sorts of equivalent phrases are used in other
Lowlands varieties, including non-standard English ones.

Thanks!
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: I'm still "fighting" with the technical problems and the company's poor
response, have kicked it up a notch or too by lodging formal complaints, am
generally getting very tired of it.  Thanks for your patience, everyone!  In the
meantime please send your submissions to the usual address AND to mine
(sassisch at yahoo.com).