LL-L 'Names' 2006.12.14 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 16:19:43 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 14 December 2006 * Volume 01

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Names'

Beste Ron,

You wrote:

> The idea here is to geographically include Northern Germany (and
> historically also Northern Poland and Kaliningrad) as well as
> culturally and linguistically Britain and non-European areas in which
> the Lowlands have planted their weird little seeds.  In other words,
> it is meant to go beyond the official Low Countries.

It is precisely for this large area that I suggested a "generic" name
like Nerom, Nerum, Nering or Neringen.

Greetz,

Luc Hellinckx

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Thanks, Luc.  I certainly appreciate you thinking about it.

I don't know how others feel about it, but my reaction to Nerum etc. is one
of ... reservation.

First of all, I find it rather obscure, esoteric, anything but intuitive,
definitely so outside the Dutch-speaking world.

Secondly, to me, and perhaps to other North Germans who don't know about the
origin, it sounds like the name of a small (formerly) Frisian island or
hamlet.

Thirdly, with the etymological information you kindly supplied, and
especially with awareness of the embedded heim "home" idea, it conjures up
in my mind ideas about a lost-and-found, formerly mythological homeland,
something like Atlantis.  As such, I'm afraid it would be likely to do
exactly what I would hate to see happen: (1) attract lunatic fringe
romantics and (2) add fuel to the fire of those that find our togetherness
threatening or don't bother to find out about us and have been trying to
categorize us as a flock of born-again tribal Ingvaeono-Germanic cuckoo
birds.

While I and others had been grappling with a specifically Low Saxon
equivalent of "Lowlands," you seem to have kicked it up a notch by talking
about the name "Lowlands" in general.  Or did I get that wrong?  I realize
that "Lowlands" can be ambiguous, and perhaps this is what I like about it.
You can make it what you want.  Traditionally, it refers to the Scottish
Lowlands, but it also suggests "Low Countries," and there are undercurrents
of what in German is Norddeutsche Tiefebene "North German Lowlands."
Geographically and topographically, "Lowlands" seems appropriate as an
extention of the "Low Countries," namely including Northern Germany,
Northern Poland and Eastern Prussia, and, across the water, England and
Lowlands Scotland, thus precisely the area of the linguistic and cultural
varieties we're talking about.

While the idea of "home" ought not be dismissed, I am rather wary when it
comes to this, but this may be my personal thing.  For one thing, "home" and
"homeland" have been used ad nauseam by fascists and other types of
far-right-wingers.  Furthermore, these ideas suggest tribal territorial
rights that have existed since the dawn of history.  However, real history
has shown that all ethnic territories are of temporary nature.  Furthermore,
"home" and "homeland" would suggest to me the idea of non-European
Lowlanders such as American, South African and Australian "Lowlanders,"
looking to the European "Lowlands" as their ancient homeland.  I don't
really want to dwell too much on the geographic, physical aspects but
envisage the no-borders extension or evolution of "Lowlands" as heritage, as
an idea and as a state of mind within which the non-European "Lowlands" are
not considered lesser, subordinate kinds but merely represent exported and
adapted Lowlands heritage.

Also, I sort of like the suggestion of "low" being traditionally
"low-prestige," for this adds an in-your-face assertion element to this.

Personally, I also like the focus in part on Lowlands Scotland.  Outside
Scotland, certainly outside Britain, most people have this notion that
"real" Scotland is Gaelic-speaking Highlands Scotland.  While I love things
Gaelic and generally Celtic, I would like to let people know that the
Scottish Lowlands, which is majority Scotland, is no lesser Scotland and is
pretty much as old as the Gaelic Highlands, that Scots language and culture,
while definitely Celtic-influenced (probably mostly Pictish and Welsh) as
well as Scandinavian-influenced, preserved and developed Old English (i.e.,
Old Northumbrian) heritage and thus "Lowlands" heritage in special ways and
is sometimes closer to the "Continental" varieties than are most English
varieties, in part also because of "Flemish" influx to Scotland.

Anyway, these are my ideas and thoughts.

Thanks again, Luc!

From: victorie.a at HOME.NL
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.12.13 (08) [E/LS]

Moi,

Ingmar Roerdinkholder hef nog altied zien middelsprake.

Ingmar, hoe ver kom ie in oen middelsprake mit de definitie van (Leeglaand,
Laagland, Lowlands, Neder(e)n Landen)?

Goodgaon,

Arend Victorie