LL-L 'History' 2006.12.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 17:07:07 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com
Posting: lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands.list at gmail.com
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net
Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L * 15 December 2006 * Volume 01

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Traditions' 2006.12.12 (02) [E/LS]

Beste Jacqueline,

Du schreyvst:

> May  I put my 2 cents worth in?
It's worth more, because I often had wondered about the different
(christian) religious relations and variations in Nederland, which, as you
may have read in my answer to Piet, partly spilled to the western parts of
Germany, specially into Eastern Friesland and Emsland.

> It is true that in the coastal areas of
> "Noord Nederland" most people ended up as Calvinists, but Calvinisme is in
> reality an import from the South. More than100 years before the time of
> the
> Reformation proper there was a religious upheaval going in the area around
> the cities of Deventer and Zwolle.
The main difference in the development of christian churches between The
Netherlands and Germany for my opinion is: there it came from beneath, out
of the peoples' minds, often in opposition to the authorities, whilst here
it always came from above, *from* the authorities, hand in hand with
political power and might. Just think about the 'Thirty Year's War' from
1618-48; about four million people had been killed- from about totally 17
million inhabitants in "Germany" (which yet didn't exist as a political
unit) at that times!
An instrument often abused for suppression here and a possibility to create
some personal freedom there!?

How do you think about this my estimation?

Allerbest Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

I think your analysis of the differences is very interesting and probably
bears a lot of water, Jonny.

But now we need to throw the Mennonites into this mix.  As I understand it,
it was a movement behind the Frisian leader Menno Simons, so not a
from-the-top-down movement.  But they rubbed the then Calvinist
establishment of the Netherlands (which by then had found its way into the
top administration) the wrong way and, on the basis of a couple of
skirmishes which may not have been initiated by Mennonites but involved some
of them, the Mennonites were then conveniently branded troublemakers (which,
as we all know is contrary to Mennonite attitudes).  It seems as though they
were far more tolerated in what are now Northern Germany and Northern Poland
(which at the time were pretty much under the same roof).