LL-L 'Names' 2006.12.28 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 06:11:53 UTC 2006

L O W L A N D S - L - 28 December 2006 - Volume 01

From: johncduckworth at YAHOO.CO.UK
Subject: Names

Dear Lowlanders,

Ron said:

"Incidentally, I've come across many a "Platt" speaker who doesn't even know
de Nedderlannen for "the Netherlands."  They use de Niederlande or de
Niederlannen instead!  This is how bad the state of affairs is in Northern
Germany that people started to use German names of well-known places and
peoples, also, for instance, Dänemark for Däänmark (Denmark), Schweden for
Sweden or Swäden (Sweden), Schweiz for Swietz or Swiez (Switzerland),
Griechenland for Grekenland or Grä kenland, Frankreich for Frankriek
(France), Türken for Törken (Turks), and Juden for Jöden or Joden (Jews),
and, yes!, even Friesen for Fresen or Freisen!"

For 'echt' Low Saxon you give a number of pairs. Are they the equivalents in
different dialects, or do they represent the two orthographies (you don't
make it clear, but I don't think it is two orthographies). Can you please
elaborate. And do you consider the other forms, influenced by Hochdeutsch,
to be incorrect in Low Saxon, or are they emcroaching so much that they
might represent a new form of the language?

John Duckworth
Manchester, UK.