LL-L 'Traditions' 2006.12.31 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Dec 31 22:51:22 UTC 2006

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 December 2006 - Volume 08

From: "Global Moose Translations" <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Tradtions' 2006.12.30 (04) [E]

Jonny wrote:
>1. Everything- maybe a ladder, forgotten in a fruit-tree, a box or a net
for fish or even the skirts on a string have to be brought >to the place
they normally should be kept. Otherwise- so I was told by my superstitious
ancestors- the 'Wild Ghosts of the >Wind' (G: auch 'Wilde Reiter') could get
caught, and that's dangerous for the house and family.

Well - that's only a small part of the story. Here, in the Solling, is where
the Wild Hunter is said to have lived - Forester Hackelberg from
Fredelshagen. He loved hunting more than everything else, and after his
death (foreseen by his wife - she dreamed a certain wild boar would be his
death, and he injured his leg on the boar's tusks after killing it, and
subsequently died of gangrene) he was given the honour by Odin to lead the
Wild Hunt during the Twelve Nights (the "Rauhnächte" between Christmas and
Epiphany).

It is said that if you leave your front and back doors open at the same time
during those nights, the Wild Hunt will sweep through, Hackelberg with his
dogs and all. Sometimes, a huge black dog will stay behind, just lying
behind the stove all year, never budging, just growling at anyone who tries
to get near it. If you leave the doors open again the following year,
Hackelberg will sweep through again and pick up the dog.

Since my dear old big black German Shepherd, who was kidnapped almost three
years ago, recently died, about a week before I was finally going to get him
back, we will make very sure to leave all the doors wide open tonight - who
knows what Hackelberg will leave behind!

Gabriele Kahn