LL-L "Delectables" 2006.02.01 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 1 23:08:44 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 February 2006 * Volume 09

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.01.31 (06) [A/E]

Mark Dreyer says:
<The 'shrimp paste' touches the raw spot. According to my grandmother's ayah
<they dug a hole in the strand just below the high-water mark, lined it with
<banana leaves, & filled it with a catch of sardines. The same was closed up
<& left for a lunar month, opened & used. There's your blatjang! My eyes are
<streaming at the thought.
Hey Mark,
Whether you call it blatjang, or trassi, I love the stuff. In small
quantities it improves the taste of many SE Asian dishes imeasurably. I did
not know how it is prepared, but I think that the method of preparation is
wonderful and inventive. You need the heat from the sun to rot the shrimp
and the salt from the sea water to preserve it. If the so called primitive
methods are this inventive, no wonder we are all so smart. Greetings,
Jacqueline