LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.01 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 1 23:06:05 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

01 February 2006 * Volume 09

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Idiomatica" 2006.02.01 (02) [E]

Ron says:
<German _Fratze_ and Low Saxon _truyn_ imply a deliberately bizarre
grimace.>
I could not find a Dutch cognate for Fratze, although my Mother used it
quite often to describe misbehavior on my brother's part. But truyn has a
Dutch equivalent in "Tronie" I looked it up in van Dale Etymologisch
Woordenboek and found that it derives from French "Trogne", possibly of
Celtic origin, hence Welsh "Trywn" which means snout.
And the world goes around again. Hartelijke Groet, Jacqueline

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Superb, Jacqueline!!!

Thanks.