LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.05 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 6 05:10:17 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 05 February 2006 * Volume 05

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Languge varieties" 2006.02.05 (03) [D/E]

To: Ingmar Roerdinkholder
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties"
From: Andrys Onsman.

Theo Homan writes that the entire population of Friesland was replaced by

> a complety different people in the 9th and 10th centuries.
> Very interesting, I'd like to know more about that!
> Maybe this new people were the Saxons from Northern Germany from my
> theory, who went to call themselves Frisians after the name of the area.

Perhaps it might be better to say that some archeaologists think that
they there may have been a mass immigration and/or emigration from and
to Fryslan. As a theory it is inconsistent: Jos Baselmans, for example,
posits the 3rd to 5th centuries, rather than the 9th and 10th, as the
most likely date. Others, myself included, have argued against the
theory, suggesting that the limited amount of verifiable evidence
available can be differently interpreted, without the need for any such
a diaspora.

On a lighter note the Frysk Museum has no qualms at all in claiming that
Frisians have been in Fryslan for the last 50,000 years. Must have been
a little chilly in the ealy days.

best wishes
Andrys

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Andrys (above):

> Others, myself included, have argued against the
> theory, suggesting that the limited amount of verifiable evidence
> available can be differently interpreted, without the need for any such
> a diaspora.

What people did they claim moved into Friesland?  Was it people from the
same area from which Saxons migrated to Britain, namely what are now
Holstein?  It has been said that, due to environmental problems and land
shortage, some areas of that region became virtually depopulated due to
emigration, assumedly to Britain.  And it has also been said that these
areas later came to be repopulated.  By whom?  Assumedly Frisians in the
case of the Northsea coast of Holstein, Schleswig and Southern Jutland (in
two major waves, of which todays insular dialects represent the earlier
wave).  Who else?

Gabriele (under "Folklore"):

> By the way, I was born and raised less than 10 km from Einbeck...

Remember how we were wondering if the dialect(s) of your general area is
(are) Eastphalian or already close to Westphalian (being in the area of
ancient Engria that lay between the Saxon regions of Eastphalia and
Westphalia)?  Well, I don't know if those few kilometers make a difference,
but the Einbeck dialect is certainly considered Eastphalian fair and square.
I remember the to-do about the New Testament translations into the
Eastphalian dialect of Einbeck several years ago, and when I read them they
show all the typically Eastphalian features.