LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.05 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 6 06:57:33 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 05 February 2006 * Volume 06

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.05 (05) [E]

Ron wrote:
>Remember how we were wondering if the dialect(s) of your general area is
>(are) Eastphalian or already close to Westphalian (being in the area of
>ancient Engria that lay between the Saxon regions of Eastphalia and
>Westphalia)?  Well, I don't know if those few kilometers make a difference,
>but the Einbeck dialect is certainly considered Eastphalian fair and
>square.
>I remember the to-do about the New Testament translations into the
>Eastphalian dialect of Einbeck several years ago, and when I read them they
>show all the typically Eastphalian features.

Oh, but 10 kilometres make all the difference! Einbeck is not part of the
Solling, and neither is Northeim, the small town where I went to school.

I have come to realise that there are two varieties of Lower Saxon spoken in
this area; one that is indeed very close to Eastphalian ("hei harre" for "he
had", for instance), and is generally spoken roughly between the Weser River
and the Harz mountains. And then there is another variety, apparently
indigenous to the Solling forest, which I haven't heard in years, but it did
sound a lot closer to Frisian, actually. This one seems to be dying out with
the old people, while the "general" variant is alive and well.

Gabriele Kahn

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks, Gabriele!

Wow!  That does sound intriguing.  We need records before that Solling
dialect is gone.

I know you have more than your fair share to worry about right now.  But
when things are better for you we might have you be our emissary and work
your charm (and I know you have it in you somewhere ;-) ) to shmooze up at
least a local big-shot that can get us a recording or something of the sort.

My!  Perhaps it's the last remnant of Engrian!

Kumpelmenten,