LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.06 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 6 18:53:28 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 06 February 2006 * Volume 01

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2006.02.05 (06) [E]

Ron wrote:
>I know you have more than your fair share to worry about right now.  But
>when things are better for you we might have you be our emissary and work
>your charm (and I know you have it in you somewhere ;-) ) to shmooze up at
>least a local big-shot that can get us a recording or something of the
>sort.

What?? Spy on my own people???

Gabriele Kahn

-----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

But, Gabriele, who was talking about spying?  Is *this* how you look at
language research and recording: as spying?  If so, this may somehow explain
our different views and approaches, for I have never entertained the thought
of language being a private, secrete commodity, although I can see some of
Sandy's points about ownership.

I have never in my life thought of linguistic, ethnic, cultural or "racial"
communities as closed societies, though I know some people do.  In other
words, I do not perceive my or other people's languages and cultures as
having fences around them, as being inaccessible to non-members.  Much
rather, I view all of them as being parts of humanity's common treasure
trove.  Whilst individual pieces may have been created by and belong to
certain groups, others may at least admire them, may even be permitted to
touch them.

This may very well not be a matter of right and wrong but of different
_Weltanschauungen_.

What about disciplines like biology, especially zoology?  Doesn't that
constitute spying on our fellow creatures then?  Or is this different
because humans have supposedly been given dominion over animals?

I'm not attacking or judging you or your views.  I am merely trying to
figure this one out so as to better understand where you are coming from in
case this sort of issue comes up again (and this is more likely than not).

Best wishes,