LL-L "Language use" 2006.02.08 (03) [E/Spanish]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 8 17:13:52 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

08 February 2006 * Volume 03

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Language use" 2006.02.07 (03) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Language use
>
> Folks,
>
> I've been wondering about the extent of use of English in Mexico, apart
> from use between locals and tourists, and I wonder if any of you have
> detailed information about it.

<snip>
> (2)
> I am not really well acquainted with the history of US-Mexican relations,
> though I do know the general gist.  What I do know is that quite a lot of
> "gringos" moved and stayed in Mexico (especially from California, Arizona
> and Texas), mostly as part of the "gringoization" of Hispanic North
> America
> that at that time some hoped would continue on into what is now Mexico.
> As
> a result, there used to be English-speaking communities especially in
> Mexico's northern states (just as there are long existing Spanish-speaking
> communities on the US side of the border, particularly in the states
> bordering on Mexico).  I assume that most of these "gringo" families have
> been Hispanicized in the meantime, leaving only English and other sorts of
> European surnames (like that of Vincente Fox, Mexico's current president).
> I wonder if some of the long resident families stuck with English, i.e.,
> if
> their are old, established English-speaking communities in Mexico.  (By
> the
> way, I am wondering about English-speaking communities in Argentina as
> well, apparently most with roots in Britain.)

Well, for what it's worth, one of Jorge Luis Borge's grandmothers was
apparently British.  It accounts in part for his interest in Anglo-Saxon and
some of his poems, one of which for example, is about Horsa and Hengist.

He was on the periphery of a large community of expatriate Poms in Buenos
Aires.  (Besides being a descendant of one of the heroes of Argentinian
independence. ;)

Wesley Parish

> In summary, the use of English in Mexico seems to be on the rapid
> increase,
> going beyond tourist industry requirements and (a good number of)
> individual English speakers making their home in Mexico.  We are now
> talking about growing communities, even towns.  It will be interesting to
> see what sort of an impact this will have on Mexican communities, culture
> and languages. Furthermore, it would be interesting to know if there are
> long established English-speaking communities and if and how the latest
> developments will impact them.
>
> Thanks.
> Reinhard/Ron

-----