LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.02.12 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 13 01:55:19 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 12 February 2006 * Volume 07

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.02.12 (02) [D/E]

Some more about Heaven/Himel/Hemel:

There's a famous LS song "Herrn Pastor sin Kauh", about the parson's cow
that has unexpectedly died and is divided up among the villagers. There are
many humorous verses about who gets what part, and why, and it is one of
those songs where you get to make up verses about those present. One of the
final verses says that the soul, of course, went straight to heaven, because
it was the parson's cow after all.

Rather than write down the verse from memory, I decided to google and copy
it. I found three different versions:

De Seel, de steig den Hewen tau,
Denn't wor je 'ne Pastorenkauh.

De Seel', de steeg den Häwen tau,
dat wier ja 'ne Pastorenkauh.

Wiel dat was 'n Pastorenkau,
Gong dat seel naar Himmel tau.
(this is supposedly from Schleswig-Holstein

These are all slightly different from the version I know:

De Seel, de steeg den Heben tau,
dat wör ja 'ne Pastorenkauh.

Anyway, Häwen/Hewen/Heben in this case means "heaven", not "sky". I seem to
remember that Ron said he would call the sky "häwen", and heaven "Himmel"
(as in the SH version above). So it may simply be different up on the coast.
To me, "Häwen" would be heaven, and "Hemel" would be sky.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Gabriele (above):

> Anyway, Häwen/Hewen/Heben in this case means "heaven", not "sky".
> I seem to remember that Ron said he would call the sky "häwen", and
> heaven "Himmel" (as in the SH version above). So it may simply be
> different up on the coast. To me, "Häwen" would be heaven, and "Hemel"
> would be sky.

I find that quite possible, also that there are variations even within
subgroups (and a fussy division, as in Modern English between "heaven" and
"sky"), given that there was definitely no clear-cut division in Old Saxon
already, as I recently showed:

hevankuning (heavenly/celestial king)
himilkuning (heavenly/celestial king)

hevanrîki (heavenly/celestial realm)
himilrîki (heavenly/celestial realm)

hevantungal (star)
himiltungal (star)

hevanuuang (heavenly/celestial pasture)
hevanuuard (heavenly/celestial guard)

himilfader (heavenly father)

himilik (ceiling)

himilîk(o) (heaven-like, heavely)

himilisk (heavenly)

himilkraft (heaven's might, celestial host)

himilporta (heaven's gate)

himiluuolkan (cloud in the sky)

A cross-dialectical survey of this would be really interesting.

Kumpelmenten,