LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.15 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 15 22:56:54 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 February 2006 * Volume 06

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.15 (01) [E]

In Drenthe Low Saxon (Netherlands) we use "locht" for both Dutch "licht"
(=light) and Dutch "lucht" (=sky).
But common gender "de locht" = the sky (D. de lucht), and "et locht" =
the light (D. het licht)is neuter.
DLS "locht" or "lochtig" is also an adjective meaning light (not dark) as
Dutch licht, but Dutch licht & English light in the sense of "not heavy"
is LS "licht".
So in DLS we find "locht" for Dutch "licht" (light, not dark + adj)
and "lucht" (sky), and DLS "licht" for Dutch "licht" (light, not heavy).

Btw Dutch "lucht" also means "odor", "smell", same goes for DLS "locht".

Ingmar