LL-L "History" 2006.02.15 (07) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Feb 15 23:44:29 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

15 February 2006 * Volume 07

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2006.02.15 (05) [E]

From: Andrys Onsman
Re: History

Hi Ron, Paul and Gabriele

Paul, I tend to agree with what you said but I'm not sure Frisians at
that time elected anyone - more an "oligarchical arrangement" of family
heads making more or less communal decisions when it was necessary.
Social stratification probably happened much later.

> When did hereditary titles begin among Germanic-speakers in Britain?

Ron, part of the problem of finding an answer to that question may be
the possibility that Beowulf muddies the waters. Unlike those who refer
to it as a reliable historical account, the poem seems to me to be a
fairly blatant attempt to curry favour with the reigning "monarch"
Aethelwulf (the father of Alfred) who had decided that he was a
descedant of Scylf Scefing, the chap who came out of nowhere to unite
the warring tribes of southern Denmark into a single, unified nation.
Essentially Beowulf is the same (fictional) story transplanted to
Britain. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a great deal of
verifiable evidence that there actually was a /theod-cyninga/, a
national king who ruled over the tribes, at all during that time.
Perhaps it is because the flattery was so far over the top that Beowulf
never morphed into ontological  ethnogenesis in the way the Mahabarata
or the Illiad or the Dreaming did. Good story, though, and worthy of
discussion on this list, methinks.

And a quick word to Gabriele about transplanting of conquering religions
onto the existing one. I'm disappointed that the festival of "our"
goddess, or Earthmother, Eostre was misappropriated by the patriarchal
misogynists of the organised Christian Church, and turned into Easter.
Surely both are worthy of their own and separate celebrations? I wonder
why the assumed truth of any proselytory paradigm always has to be such
a brutal, intolerant construct.

And now, back to work
Cheers
Andrys