LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.20 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 20 21:00:27 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L 20 February 2006 * Volume 04

From: Karl Schulte
Subject: Etymology"

Ron wrote:

> German _Fickmühle_ (nowadays meaning 'quandary') is a southern word,
> and the idea of the first part is an old one: 'to move back and
> forth', later also 'to be fidgety' (!!!); cf. Low Saxon _vikkerig_
> <fickerig> 'fidgety'.  Apparently, in the case of the mill, it
> referred to a special type of watermill in which two rods moved back
> and forth in opposite directions.

Could that mill have been a whorehouse=fick mulle as idiom?
Karl Schulte

From: "Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong" <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Gabrielle says: Actually, as far as I know, the art of knitting has been
invented in more than one area. So why not socks, too?
Hi Gabrielle, I hope you know something I do not. For the past few months I
have been rooting around trying to find the place of origin of knitting.
The reason for this is that when I visited the Cultural Center of the
Cowichan tribe, part of the Coastal Salish Indians on Vancouver Island in
Canada, they made the statement that they were already knitting when the
English came. Apparently they used the hair of mountain goats until the
English shot those and then switched to the belly hair of some kind of dog
that they raised especially for the purpose. In about 1860 they learned
intarsa knitting from the Scottish wife of the trading post owner, hence the
modern Cowichan sweaters knit from heavy sheep's wool with Indian motives.
So the question is. How and when DID they learn to knit????
As far as I know there is very little known about the origin of knitting.
The only reference that keeps being quoted by everybody is from a book by
Rut on the history of knitting in England. According to him, knitting was
invented in the area around Syria and Jordan and did not get to England
until maybe the 14th century. The earliest sample that I know of, was a
bi-colored sock, found in an Egyptian tomb, dating from the 3rd to 6th
century. Since it was knit in two colors, you would think that the art of
knitting had already advanced quite a bit.
It might be that Chinese traders had contact with the Vancouver Indians.
Apparently they traded in salmon for a long time before the white man came,
but I cannot find anything on knitting in China either.
Do you know more than I do? Let me know, Jacqueline

(Ron, this is an odd entry for a Lowland Languages forum, but this is what
you get when you bring people with multiple interests together. I did not
send it to Gabrielle outside the list in the hope that there might be
somebody else in our piece of the Web that knows something about it. Feel
free to give the piece the axe if you don't think it fits here. Jacqueline)