LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Feb 26 03:51:21 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 25 February 2006 * Volume 02

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Roger,

On Saturday 25 February 2006, you wrote:

> In East-Brabant dwars /dweës/ is never used as an adverb. As an
> adjective it means "stubborn, obstinate, contrary, unruly".  Hence the
> noun dwarzerik /dweëzerik/ ".

Here in West-Brabant, the situation is more or less the same, /dwèès/ always
means "stubborn, contrary"; but it can also be used as an adverb, for
example:

"A liep dwèès over 't veld"

could be said of somebody who is willfully strolling the fields.
It would NOT mean however that he's obliquely crossing that field. In the
latter case, we'd use the word /nus/ (/noes/ in some Flemish dialects):

"A liep dàà nus da land over"

/nus/ coincides with Dutch "schuin, scheef" and the etymology is still quite
unclear. In short, Dutch "dwars" always refers to something moving at right
angles to another direction, whereas /nus/ is related to diagonal motion.

On a sidenote: If we want to describe how disorderly/chaotic/oblique
something is, we'll use the idiom "schots en scheef".

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx