LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.27 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 27 18:38:44 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 27 February 2006 * Volume 05

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.26 (04) [E]

Heather wrote:
>Would people mind if we went back to 'poll' and its origins.
>
>Did I understand correctly that its meaning of 'head' came after its
>meaning 'to cut' and the noun 'pollard' ?
>
>Is it common across the Lowland languages?

Would this be related to Scots "pow" for head, then? And Dutch "bolletje"?

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Hi Roger and Ron

I believe we're dealing with diphthongization of e's and final r-deletion
here rather than metathesis and r -> j.
All the words in the examples have an <e> in it originally, not aa as in
Standard Dutch, so *kers, *vers for Modern Dutch kaars, vaars etc.
This <e>, especially before r, could easily become diphthongized into
i-e, hence ki-ers, vi-ers. As in Standard Dutch and very many Low Saxon
Finally the -r was dropped, which is also very common in many Dutch
Belgium dialects, and in Low Saxon, so <ki-ars> -> <ki-aas> (kjaas).

The theory of kaars -> *kraas -> *kjaas, as you proposed below, seems
highly unlikely...

Groeten
Ingmar

>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Etymology
>
>Roger:
>
>> Kers -> kjoe-es
>> vers -> vjoe-es
>> kerel -> kjal
>> kaars -> kjaas
>> vaars -> vjaas
>
>These look like cases of metathesis to me: Vr > rV
>More precisely: Vr -> Vj > jV
>
>(V = vowel)
>
>The rule /r/ -> [j] is very common among Eastern and Siberian Turkic
>languages.  So it's not farfetched.
>
>So, e.g., kaars -> kaajs > kjaas
>
>> vaardig (old D. for klaar zijn, cf fertig in German) -> vjarig
>
>I believe that in this case we are dealing with /rr/:
>vardig > varrig > vajrig > vjarig
>
>Compare Lower Elbe Low Saxon:
>vardig ["fa:dIC] > varrig (<fardig>, <farrig>) ["fa:rIC] 'ready', 'done'
>This is a case of d-assimilation, which applies very widely in North
Saxon,