LL-L "Diversity" 2006.02.27 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Feb 27 18:47:08 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 27 February 2006 * Volume 01

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.02.26 (05) [E]

Dear Lowlanders,

When I read those info about the meaning of place-name "Hamborg" and the
fact that they only looked at Old-High-German, not at Old Saxonian I get the
feeling that we haven't got any further than we were before, in Germany they
speak German and that's it. I am wondering where current trends in Germany
and also here in the Netherlands might lead to because there are calls in
for children being forced to speak German only also during lesson breaks
etc. In the Netherlands the interior minister Mrs. Verdonk wants to hear
Dutch on the streets, pointing particularily to the Moroccan and Turlish
copmmunities. But what will happen to Frisian, Low Saxon, Sorbian,
Limburgish and Danish, are we returning to those days my mother told me when
they were told off by the teahcer for speaking Low Saxon? They are talking a
lot about "confirming to Dutch or German culture" but what do they mean with
that? Eating chips! with mayonaise or Sauerkraut? I am fearing it is a fall
back to those days we thought were over after Germany and the Netherlands
signed the European minorities charter. And why should Turkish families not
pass on the Turkish language to their children so the grand children can
spreak to their Grand parents, what is the problem? Looking at the US it is
more than evident that usually the immigrant languages disappear within the
third generation and so far this is more than evident in Germany and the
Netherlands as well, so what are Mr. Oettinger and Mrs. Verdonk are on
about? I am afraid it is just another cheap populist utterance which could
have bad percussians on us Low Saxon, Frisian, Danish, Sorbian, Limburgish
and also immigrant Moroccoan and Turkish speakers. In Denmark Pia
Kjaersgaard's anti-immigrant Danske Folkeparti has gained even more
popularity after the whole Muhammed-cartoons issue and they are trying their
best to fuel thin! gs into a proper "cultural war", I am afraid that this
could even go further than that. Some politicians already called for
boykotting shops run by apparently islamic people, now that brings us close
to what happened in Germany to the Jews at the beginning of the
Nazi-dictatorship. I think for us Low Saxons, Frisians, Scots, Gaels,
Bretons, Maories, Surinaams, Yiddish-speakers, Sorbians, Basks and whatever
minority it was always clear that every society is a mulitcultural society,
it is a fact everywhere.

Neddersassische Groeten vun

Helge