LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.12.31 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 1 02:48:33 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 31 December 2005 * Volume 02

From: "Arthur Jones" <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2005.12.30 (04)[E]

Happy new year, Lowlanders!

  Referring to Ron's response to Shelia (Haryall, Sheelie?), please allow
me to make two small observations:

  1. My Central West Virginia version of Rin (Wren in Hochenglisch) has
(mittlerweilen) been capped with a Severe-ville Tennessee title. Go look for
yourself.

  Doncha go a-likenin us to no Tennessee people. Why they are the
Hollywoodites of the East. But I reckon a fake mountain twang is
better'n no twang 'tall.

  2. Yall tellin' me ah owe you a salnd fahl? I aint never borried non
frum ye. Not even a rat-tail fahl. Nor a fingernail fahl. Yall better
not be accusin' me uh stealin yore tools.

  The reason, Ron, why I didn't do a sound file of Central West Virginian
is simple:
I don't how to do one. I would love to. Mike Szelog and you had once
intended to
aid me in this endeavour. There is nothing wrong with my computer, it is
new. It
loudly proclaims to be able to make sound files. Do I need to purchase a
microphone? Are there any particular specifications I should be aware of?
Any tips
on saving and sending such files?

  I also offered to do these things by telephone, but judging from the
daily volume
of postings, I respect your slogan, that "Zeit ist knapp".

  Incidentally, is Mike Szelog still around? I miss his brilliant and
eclectic
offerings.

  Again, happy new year.

  Arthur

  Arthur A. Jones
  arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com

  Please also remember that I would also like to submit a sound file of my
Gothic version of Wrindilo or So Wrinda. Same reason for not doing so.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Greetings, noble Sire Arthur and ye good Lowlanders all!

I bid ye all a prosperous new year!

While our Arthur, I and other Lowlanders in the Americas are still
building up to the hour of change (now being a little after six in the
evening), all you in the rest of the world have greeted the new year
already.

Our Sandy is up north in his native Scottish Lowlands, incommunicado
electronicamente.  His birthday just ended in his neck of the woods.
Nonetheless, here are felicitations and best wishes going his way.  I
cannot help but feel that Hogmaney is a fitting birthday date for him --
and by this I mean only things I appreciate about him.

And this is the last Lowlands-L message of 2005, our 10th anniversary
year.  But the party continues (http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/),
revving up again in April 2006 with the completion of our 11th year.

>   The reason, Ron, why I didn't do a sound file of Central West
Virginian > is simple:
> I don't how to do one. I would love to. Mike Szelog and you had once
> intended to
> aid me in this endeavour. There is nothing wrong with my computer, it is
> new. It
> loudly proclaims to be able to make sound files. Do I need to purchase a
> microphone? Are there any particular specifications I should be aware
of? > Any tips
> on saving and sending such files?

Instead of dabbling with it myself, let me, with my kahunic craft, invoke
more potent powers: our main sound manager Henry Pijffers.  Henry, be a
lamb (to use a really old-fashioned British phrase) and instruct our
Arthur in the art and options of sound recording.  But please keep a copy
of the instructions, just in case other Lowlanders ask for them.  If there
is much demand (and I hope there is) we could eventually post them here
and at the anniversary site.  Actually, posting them at the anniversary
site may be a very good idea, since I suspect that lots of people that
could submit recordings don't do so because they lack the technical
know-how.

Here is another special request.  Is there anyone who would be willing and
able to check my draft Hebrew translation of the wren story for accuracy?
(Another person joined us from Israel today, and I wish him a very special
_Baruch haba'_.)

Another request.  I need someone to add vowel punctuation to our Arabic
version or to make a romanized version of it.

And there is the constant call for further translations and sound
recordings.  Please ask your associates if you can't do them yourselves,
or write to me and I will happily discuss details and answer any questions
you might have.

Happy New Year to you!