LL-L "Phonology" 2006.01.13 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 13 16:06:00 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

13 January 2006 * Volume 02

From: globalmoose at t-online.de <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.01.12 (04) [E]

Ben Bloomgren wrote:
>Could it be that some varieties had an umlauted u like Dutch fux for
fox?
>This may explain the i sound in vixen.

Ben, I think you're confusing something here. The Dutch word for "fox"
is "vos". Maybe you were thinking of German "Fuchs"; the female form,
"Füchsin", does sound a lot like "vixen".

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Heather Rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

"fox VS. Vixen"

Eric Partridge in Origins says it is a dialect form
OE fox has  f    fyxen     whence dialect  vixen

OED is much more extensive and says i.a. that
the 'v' form not recorded before late 16th century
the 'f' form continued until early 18th century -= fixen

They equate it with 'füchsin" but say it is not recorded in OE which had
'fyxe' and and adjective 'fyxen'

So you pays your penny and you takes your choice!

Heather