LL-L "History" 2006.01.13 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 13 16:09:45 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

13 January 2006 * Volume 03

From: daniel prohaska <danielprohaska at bluewin.ch>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2006.01.09 (02) [E]

From: Daniel Prohaska <danielprohaska at bluewin.ch>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology"

Dear Paul, Reinhard,
Cimbrian (Zimbrisch) is an off-shoot of 12th and 13th century Carinthian and
East Tyrolean dialects the speakers of which settled in the first "seven
communities" from which a further "15 communities were founded".

There is no genetic or linguistic relation to the "Cimbri", the Germanic (or
Celtic) tribe mentioned my Tacitus to have moved into what it northern Italy
today.

It was only in the 18th or 19th centuries that it was thought that these
speakers of this colonial Bavarian dialect were the descendents of the
"Cimbri", but from a linguistic point of view this cannot be sustained.

Dan

***