LL-L "Language politics" 2006.01.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 22 19:12:37 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 22 January 2006 * Volume 01

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2006.01.21 (04) [E]

> From: Henry Pijffers <henry at saxnot.com>
> Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2006.01.21 (01) [E]
>
> Sandy wrote:
>

>> I think the ethical problem here is that you're separating language from
>> culture. Although many native Scots are brought up in an
>> English-speaking culture, I'm not one of them.
>>
> I'm sure school was in English, wasn't it? But isn't that part of your
> culture too then?
>
> I mainly grew up speaking only Saxon, until I went to school. In the
> class room speaking Saxon was more or less forbidden (although in the
> school yard everybody spoke Saxon and the Hollanders would just have to
> adapt). From the age of 5, Dutch became part of everyday life for me,
> and so part of my culture, whether I'd like to or not.
>
> Other than that, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

No, the Dutch language becomes part of your culture, but the connection
between Dutch language and culture doesn't - at least not to anywhere
near the extent that it does for a child living Dutch language and
culture in tandem all day every day, even when they're at home.

> From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
> Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2006.01.21 (01) [E]
>
> Gary Taylor wrote:
>
> Do English-speaking nations run behind in arts, science, technology,
> commerce etc due to the problems caused by English orthography?
>
> Gary, I'm blind, and I have never actually seen or written any of
> these, but I do ask this question. How is it that Egypt, China and the
> ancient "Near Eastern" cultures were titans in commerce, language and
> science? The ancient Mesopotamians used Cuneiform. China used and
> still uses complex pictographs and Egypt used similarly complex yet
> different pictographs. I almost wonder as a layman if these complex
> orthographies actually cause science, commerce and technology to
> improve because the cultures have to place higher amounts of effort on
> the acquisition of their writing systems. Again, I'm not a scholar of
> any of these three systems or any others, and I'm blind. I cannot
> print my name in English, and my signature is doctorish!

It was actually me who said what you quoted Gary as saying.

I sometimes wonder about the effect the writing system can have on the
other things people do with pen and paper.

In Asia, the square root of 10 (about 3.16) was commonly used for pi
(about 3.14). A Chinese father and son team calculated the value of pi
to many more decimal places than had ever been calculated in the West,
and yet Asian mathematicians went right on using the "beautiful" value
of pi in spite of the ugly engineering disasters looming on the horizon!
Why would they do this, we ask in the West? Is it possibly because their
writing system is maintained as beautiful and they automatically think
other things committed to paper should follow the same principle?

I think this sort of thing happens in the West even now. You might
consider the way linguists seem to glorify the IPA because it can be
used to express sounds in any language. They miss the fact that it's
completely incapable of doing this to anywhere near the accuracy
required for modern linguistic research, but it has the one advantage
that it's an alphabet, and that's what Western linguists are used to.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/