LL-L "Language use" 2006.01.23 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 23 20:06:12 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 23 January 2006 * Volume 01

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "Language use"

Last week I had to visit one of my pupils in the hospital of Doetinchem
several times, the capital of the Achterhoek, the Low Saxon speaking
Eastern part of the Dutch province of Gelderland (Guelders).
My pupil is a 17 years old Angolese boy, but he shared his hospital room
with other Dutch patients.

The interesting thing was that I could overhear both the nurses and the
patients speak Plat all the time, in this case one of the Achterhoek Low
Saxon varieties or Liemers Dutch dialects. This pleased me a lot.

Low Saxon in spoken in the Achterhoek, and Liemers, part of the Kleverland
dialects of Southern Guelders and the Lower Rhine area in Germany are
spoken between the area just West of Doetinchem and Arnhem.

And, what a coincidence, at the website of Drentse Taol I just read about
a series of interviews about the use of Low Saxon in the medical sector,
which was held in the hospitals of Almelo (Twente) and... in Doetinchem.
The outcome was that about 70-75 % of the patients and the nursing
personel use Low Saxon (or Liemers) to communicate with each other,
because it feels more cosy, they can express their emotions better and
feel more at home. With the doctors usually Standard Dutch is spoken.
So, maybe we can conclude here safely: Low Saxon is good for your health
and well being.

Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language use

Moyen un bedankt, leyv' Inkje, bedankt vör 'n vermaaklichen bericht.

> So, maybe we can conclude here safely: Low Saxon is good for
> your health and well being.

And it can be good for business also, at least for small business.  A
hairdresser in southern Schleswig-Holstein recently told me that she speaks
"Platt" with whomever among her clients that is able and willing.
Apparently, she finds out by dropping a sentence or phrase in Low Saxon in
hopes of getting an appropriate reaction.  She found that especially those
clients tend to return, apparently because it makes her service seem special
and her shop seem more _kommodig_ ('cosy', 'comfortable').