LL-L "Phonology" 2006.01.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Jan 27 23:27:14 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

26 January 2006 * Volume 03

From: Heather Rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.01.26 (02) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>This means also that my tongue contact for d is apical and that for t
is laminal.<

Please explain 'apical' and 'laminal'

Thanks
Heather

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>

Hi Ron, are you really sure Dutch has an apico-alveolar <s>? I was never
aware of that, and I doubt it in fact, because I can hear such an <s> in
Spanish (of Spain), and indeed <Spanish s> is tending towards <sh>, but
that is really a different <s> as in Dutch.
And why do you say Dutch doesn't have [S]? There are more than enough
examples of it, usually written as <sj>, as in sjouwen, sjokken, sjofel,
etc. Probably you'll state that words with initial sj [S] etc are loans
from Frisian, Yiddish or other languages, or onomatopoeic, but that is
certainly not the case with initial {S] in dimunitiva.

Anyway, in the Standard Dutch I speak I don't have an apico-alveolar <s>,
but I just found out that I do in the Drenthe Low Saxon! And when I'd
speak Dutch with a broad LS accent, I use that same Spanish <s> as well!
The other Low Saxon variety I know well by my own experience, Achterhoek
LS, has the same <s> as in Dutch however.

Ingmar