LL-L "Phonology" 2006.01.29 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jan 29 08:25:55 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 29 January 2006 * Volume 01

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2006.01.26 (03) [E]

Please explain 'apical' and 'laminal'

Apical articulation is out on the tip of the tongue. Laminal articulation is
down on the blade of the tongue. Think of it as trying to get a popcorn seed
out of your mouth versus licking the cake batter off a spoon. You don't lick
the spoon with the very tip of your tongue. You do that with the blade of
your tongue and your lips. When you're trying to get the blasted popcorn
seed out, you dig between your teeth with the tip of the tongue. The
Castilian Spanish /s/ is the popcorn seed whereas the English /s/ is the
scrumptious spoon. Linguists, if I've screwed this up royally, send me to
the Tower of London, will you?
Ben

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Nice descriptive job, Ben, buddy!  The Tower?!  Why?  You might scare away
the ravens, and that would be bad for the monarchy.  ;-)

By the way, folks, the Old German sound file for the wren translation is up
now.  Some apicals are better than others, I'm afraid.

http://www.lowlands-l.net/anniversary/index.php?page=diutisc