LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.01.30 (08) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jan 30 02:50:23 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 30 January 2006 * Volume 08

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2006.01.30 (03) [E]

To Roger Thijs, Re: Your trouble with food names: (en schoenlepels
natuurlijk)

1. From the standpoint of preparation there is a distinct difference between
"gelei", "jam" en "marmelade" (Dutch Spelling)
Gelei is cooked down fruit juice (like "rode bessen" E. red currants) which
naturally contain enough pectins, with lots of sugar added to form a jelly.
Gelei met Frambozen means that the jelly not necessary contains only
Raspberry juice, but probably a lot of it is based on apple juice. Later
some Raspberries are added to "authenticate" it (Voelt U de fijne nuance?)
2. Confiture is a French word and therefore can be sold for more money than
   jam. In the Netherlands the naming of such concoctions is tightly
   regulated. In general one should find more recognizable pieces of the
   fruit in confiture.
3. Marmalades are made from sieved cooked fruit, without pits or stones.
   In the case of Citrus marmalade, separately prepared slivers of the skin
   of the fruit are then added to the fruit puree before bottling.

So much for todays cooking lesson!

Your other lament strikes at something of more interesting for the linguist.
I would suggest that you would name the Asiatic condiments by their Asiatic
names. In the modern world everything has become a world-commodity (met het
zelfde sausje overgoten!). Lest our taste buds become totally befuddled by
"fusion" cooking,- and I must admit that I cook a lot of fusion dishes
myself,- lets keep the flavors separate. Just as we like to go eat at a
Chinese, French, or Indian restaurant, let's keep the food cultures
separated. Let's leave curry powder, curry powder. It is a mixture of
different spices anyhow, differing in content depending on its area of
origin. Whether you call ketjap manis, "zoete ketjap" makes no difference as
long as you say ketjap. Ketchup (although linguistically derived from
ketjap), is an entirely different.- and much inferior -. kettle of fish.
In so far as French's mustard had nothing to do with French mustard, the
importer was right in calling it "Hot Dog Saus", but maybe "Hot Dog Sauce"
would have been even better. Personally I can't stand the stuff. It
certainly does not taste like Dyon- or Chinese mustard and we call Japanese
mustard Wasabi anyhow.
I would continue to call Shiitakes just that, after all there are several
kinds of mushrooms being exported from China, and grown locally these days.

MMm, I am getting hungry. Dinner tonight: a Salad of Green Cabbage with
Tsurimi (fake Crabmeat made of Pollock filets) and a dressing of Guacomole
with Ponzu flavored Soy sauce (Soy sauce with vinegar and citrus juice) to
which some Jamaican Tamarind Hotsauce is added. Try it you'll like it.
(Voelt U de fijne nuance?)

Met Vriendelijke Groeten, Jacqueline