LL-L 'Names' 2006.07.03 (02) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 3 17:38:18 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 03 July 2006 * Volume 02

From: Henry Pijffers <henry at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.07.02 (03) [D/E]

Stan Levinson wrote:

> I have a World Cup cum Dutch language question. Of the players on the Dutch squad
> is named VENNEGOOR OF HESSELINK Jan
> Wat is dat voor een naam? Waarom heeft hij "of" in zijn achternaam. Is his name a
> multiple choice question? This one really has got me curious.

Actually it is multiple choice:
http://football.guardian.co.uk/theknowledge/story/0,13854,1274396,00.html

regards,
Henry

----------

From: 'Heinrich Becker' <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Sports' 2006.07.02 (02) [E/German]

>Of the players on the Dutch squad
is named VENNEGOOR OF HESSELINK Jan
Wat is dat voor een naam?<

Stan,

family names like that, you can find on both sides of Dutch/ German
Border. Many Low German names in Westphalia like Schulte Wernink,
Schulte Graute Baunenkamp, Schulze tho Gempt, Meyer zur Westernheide
-even more Dutch names like van der Meer, van der Sar, ten Bruggenkate
etc.) describe often a location given to their ancestors some twenty
generations ago in combination with a family name. Some higher ranking
farmer families not belonging to the nobility, tried to revalue their
existence by keeping these medieval family names. The name Vennegor van
Hesselink could have roots like that.

In Gütersloh aerea they merge all these names together in one word like:
Schellersjuergenhumpert or Rickenfelderbaeumer

Hope, this explanation helped you a lot.

Greetings

Heinrich Becker

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

This is really fascinating, Henry and Heinrich (and hi, Stan!).

It makes me wonder, though, why in combining surnames people in those regions
resorted to such "exotic" means instead of doing the more widely spread
hyphenation thing or using "and" (_en_, _un_, etc.) as is done in Spanish for
instance (when one's paternal and maternal surnames are combined).