LL-L 'Language maintenance' 2006.07.03 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 3 21:07:48 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 03 July 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Reuben Epp' <reuben at uniserve.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Language maintenance' 2006.07.03 (01) [E/LS]

>From Reuben Epp: reuben at uniserve.com
Subject: Language maintenance.

I understand that sizable communities of Low Saxon speakers who escaped
from their former settlements on the Frische Nehrung (Prussia) to Schleswig-
Holstein in 1945 still exist there. My information is that their settlements
are located at or near the communities of Lütjenburg and Schönenberg east
of Kiel, Germany.

Cheers!

Reuben Epp

***

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Sports' 2006.07.02 (02) [E/German]

Leve Lowlanders,

Interessant waer, of dat no familien giff
twueschen duesse luet de in eer familie ostpreussisch-nedersassisch snack,
denn
sodenni leeft de ostpreussisch-nedersassisch dialekt doch no laenger wieter
as wi
vlich all dachen. Darto kuemmt dat duesse luet ok no de "heritage" vun de
olen
baltischen Prus besitten in de "Stammesheimat" as ik dat so seggen doerf.
Weet
een vun ju dar wat oever?

Groeten

Helge

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Like, Helge, I wonder if there are any
remaining Low Saxon (Low German) speakers in Poland (and I haven't
completely
given up hope to locate some in Denmark).

I would be extremely interested to know if there are still some speakers of
Low
Saxon in Poland (and Kaliningrad, also the Baltic countries). German
minority
communities of Poland are now beginning to "come out" and to assert
themselves,
not a mean feat even now. I have approached some of them with regard to Low
Saxon, so far without success.
Youth Forum in Opole

***