LL-L 'Names' 2006.07.03 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 3 21:15:42 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 03 July 2006 * Volume 04

From: 'Marcel Bas' <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.07.03 (02) [D/E]

Hi all,

> > I have a World Cup cum Dutch language question. Of the players on the Dutch squad
> > is named VENNEGOOR OF HESSELINK Jan
> > Wat is dat voor een naam? Waarom heeft hij "of" in zijn achternaam. Is his name a
> > multiple choice question? This one really has got me curious.

That is a typical name for the Twente (Tubantia) region, where you find surnames
as Olde Kalter, Oude Regelink and Klein Essink. Note the -ink suffix, too!

In my town we have a family Willems of Brilman. This will seem even more
ridiculous if you realise that, in English it could be rendered into "Williams or
glasses-man". When I first read the name in our village newspaper I thought that
the 'Brilman'-part would be a nickname; as if people could choose to call this
man by his true surname or by his nickname. Maybe it originated this way. In
multiplex communities, such as Katwijk, where many people have the same surnames,
you find hundreds of nicknames that will be passed on for generations to come.

Check this site, to get an idea of the, sometimes, obscene nicknames of this
normally quite conservative, protestant society of Katwijk:
http://www.allesoverkatwijk.nl

Best regards,

Marcel.

http://roepstem.net