LL-L 'Names' 2006.07.03 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Jul 3 22:53:04 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 03 July 2006 * Volume 05

From: Theo Homan <theohoman at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.07.03 (02) [D/E]

> From: 'Heinrich Becker' <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>
> Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.07.02 (03) [D/E]

> family names like that, you can find on both sides
> of Dutch/ German
> Border. Many Low German names in Westphalia like
> Schulte Wernink,
> Schulte Graute Baunenkamp, Schulze tho Gempt, Meyer
> zur Westernheide
> -even more Dutch names like van der Meer, van der
> Sar, ten Bruggenkate
> etc.) describe often a location given to their
> ancestors some twenty
> generations ago in combination with a family name.
> Some higher ranking
> farmer families not belonging to the nobility, tried
> to revalue their
> existence by keeping these medieval family names.
> The name Vennegor van
> Hesselink could have roots like that.
>
> In Gütersloh aerea they merge all these names
> together in one word like:
> Schellersjuergenhumpert or Rickenfelderbaeumer
>
> Hope, this explanation helped you a lot.
>
> Greetings

Hi,

Let me add some info about the phenonenom of

"higher ranking farmer families not belonging to the
nobility, tried to revalue their existence by keeping
these medieval family names".

It concerns the family name 'Homan' and the double
name 'Linthorst Homan'.

'Homan' was a well known name in the province of
Drenthe [northeast of the Netherlands], let's say at
least from 13th century onwards. And for many
centuries a 'Homan' was the president [olderman] of
the local court of justice and the Homans also were
often the schout [lord mayer]. The Homan family even
had their own arms, but this was a fake.
The family of 'Linthorst' was a competing family, but
not as succesful. And so it went that -in the 17th
century- there was a wedding between the two families.
And shortly later we see names like Dirk or Barend or
xxx Linthorst Homan.
And the trick was that this 'Linthorst' legally was
the second first name. But everybody thought that the
family name was 'Linthorst Homan'. Until 1892; then
they had enough influence and money to change and
legalize the name, and from then on 'Linthorst Homan'
was a legal family name.

vr.gr.
Theo Homan, from humble ancestry, but noble in mind.

----------

From: Henry Pijffers <henry at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Names' 2006.07.03 (04) [E]

Marcel Bas wrote:

> In multiplex communities, such as Katwijk, where many people have the same
surnames,
> you find hundreds of nicknames that will be passed on for generations to come.

Ah yes, just like in Rijssen (Twente), where I grew up. Quite a large
share of the residents is named Baan, and there are more surnames with
sizeable shares. And so there are also a couple Pijffers families, which
need to be distinguished between, and as such my family has the nickname
"Van 'n Draod" (a lot of my family members are (sometimes exceptionally)
tall, especially the males). I'm very accustomed to introducing myself
as "Henry van Klaas van 'n Draod" (Klaas is my father). In one
particular case of a hardware store owner I often have to mention four
nicknames (my grandfather seemed to be good at acquiring them), before
he will recognize me.

David Barrow wrote:

>> This is really fascinating, Henry and Heinrich (and hi, Stan!).

That makes 2 Heinrichs then, doesn't it? ;)

> It makes me wonder, though, why in combining surnames people in those regions
> resorted to such "exotic" means instead of doing the more widely spread
> hyphenation thing or using "and" (_en_, _un_, etc.) as is done in Spanish for
> instance (when one's paternal and maternal surnames are combined).

We like to be different ;)

regards,
Henry -- or Hendrik van 'n Draod

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Thanks, Theo and Henry!

And then there is the remaining Latin _-us_ in some Dutch men's names that sure
is awe-inspiringly noble-sounding.

Henry:

> We like to be different ;)

That goes without saying.  And we wouldn't have you any other way now, would we?

> That makes 2 Heinrichs then, doesn't it? ;)

Indeed.  But, wait!, there's more.  I'm not sure if our Rikus (< Hen(d)ricus?) is
a part of your bunch, and perhaps Henno.  But we also have a few others of the
silent sort.

> Hendrik van 'n Draod

In Low Saxon of Germany I'd say _Henrik up 'n Draad_ ("... on the wire"), meaning
"Henry (is) with it," "Henry (is) a/the clever puppy."

Groeten,
Reinhard of Ron Franciscus Broekman of de Haan op 'n Hoop