LL-L 'Language contacts' 2006.07.08 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 9 00:28:59 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 08 July 2006 * Volume 08

From: 'Marcel Bas' <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Language contacts' 2006.07.08 (03) [E]

>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Language contacts
>
>I assume that Russian галстук _galstuk_ 'necktie' comes from Dutch
*_halsdoek_
>("neck-cloth").

It must be, although I thought that _s_ in _galstuk_ was a /S/. So I always
thought it could be of German origin: "Halsstück", but then it would yield
"Galshtyuk" in Russian, interpreting /y/ as a /ju/.

One of the nicest German words in Russian is the daily word for 'hairdresser':
"parikmacher'. A wig-maker!

Best regards,

Marcel.

----------

From: Obiter Dictum <obiterdictum at mail.ru>

Goeienag, Marcel en Ron
Ja, fyn woorde, ja?
_galstuk_? Mmm... Ron, ek liewer stem vir die Duits Halstuch. Die oue Russiese
spelling was галстуÑ
 /galstuch/, soos in Duits.

Anchor-> jakor'. Ja, dit klank Nederlands, nie Grieks nie. Eintlik, baie van die
Russiese я's (ja) kom van юс малый (jus malyj, minor jus), gespel soos ь /nou
genoemd мягкий знак, mjagkij znak, sagte teken, nie uitgespraak nie). Hy is soos
'n genasaliseerte 'e', soos die Franse 'i' in 'pin' of 'e' in 'encre'
uitgespraak. Later word hy die voorklank 'ae' word, met die gewoonlike initiale 'j'.
Sorry about errors. Cant resist writing in a LL language:)
On the other hand, Russan has the word 'anker' too;), with fully pronounced A and
N (no nasality). That's an engineering and contstruction term; it means a rod
that passes through several parts of a unit and holds them togeher (nuts are...
screwed on both ends:))) can't resist this too:))
Matter of fact, ya ne nachital, ya napisal;)
And if you shift the stress in my word.... Ok, ok, no more tonight, promise:))
Ron, I started re-reviewing the Russian page. In depth. You'll hit the ceiling.
Either you'll love it, or i'll have to scram;)
Groete
Vlad Lee

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language contacts

Drasvi ja spasiba, Vlad, gammel go ven på moja!

> Ron, I started re-reviewing the Russian page. In depth.
> You'll hit the ceiling.

"No, nitjevo, brat. Moja guano grot hart. Moja njet ljugom" ("Well, never mind,
bro. My head is very hard. I'm not lying."), as we'd say up north in Russenorsk.

Quality comes before convenience.  So bring it on!

Prosjai!