LL-L 'Language contacts' 2006.07.08 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 9 00:32:43 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 08 July 2006 * Volume 09

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: 'Phonology' 2006.07.07 (06) [E]

>From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
>Subject: Phonology

On your remark about Ronnie Corbett's Scottishness, I too found it hard
to believe he was Scottish, in the days when my hearing was up to making
such judgements.

Then again, I once knew someone who was brought up in North Wales who
spoke only with an upper-class English accent, very much the way Prince
Charles speaks. He explained to us that his father had had him brought
up speaking this way, though assuming he went to an ordinary North Wales
school, this must surely have been an act of great determination and
persistence on his father's part? He also dressed in the same sort of
grey suit and unfashionable tie as Prince Charles (this was in the
eighties, when it was still possible to be out of fashion rather than
retro :)

It just goes to show, though, that a person can be brought up in a
certain area and still seem to have been brought up somewhere else.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/